ideas for rearrangement of admin-menu

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
stm999999999
Regular

ideas for rearrangement of admin-menu

Post by stm999999999 »

hello,

in the german board-section are some ideas for a rearrangement of the menu in the admin-area.

Because for developing the international / english - section would be better, I try to translate this:

main idea: cutting the "entries"-top-item, because
1. many things there are not about "entries" in the meaning used in s9y. There are many enhancements that are more than just blog-entries.
2. these top-item is to complex for new-users
3. the list of sub-items is too long for usibility-reasons:

so, the idea:

new name: "Edit Content" and new top-item for organize things:
Edit Content
New Entry
Edit Entries
Static Pages
Manage Links
Polls
My Calendar

Organize Content
Manage Comments
Manage Categories
Manage Tags
Template-Blocks
Assign Category
QuickNotes
Statistics
Backup Interface
Backup Interface

I would put Backup Interface into the admin-section.

top-item: Appearance

ok, nothing is more about Appearance than the templates :-) But the plugins are ... hm ... the sidebar plugins are about design, well. But the event-plugins are about technical enhancements.

by the way: Does any not-techie know what an event-plugin is?

First of all, what is about "Design & Enhancements"?

And then, is it possible to cut the event-page? one for the enhancements called "plugins" and one "Widgets" or so?

I implement this ideas here: http://test.manske-net.de/Dropdown/pro_dropline.html or http://test.manske-net.de/Dropdown/pro_dropline3.html

ideas, comments, suggestions?
Ciao, Stephan
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: ideas for rearrangement of admin-menu

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

I pretty much favor "Entries" as the top item. I don't like this new "content" nomenclature, also because s9y users should be used to "Entries" and IMHO it fits.
3. the list of sub-items is too long for usibility-reasons:
The sub-items depend on your amount of plugins. ;-)
I would put Backup Interface into the admin-section.
If it were for me, I'd COMPLETELY REMOVE that fricking plugin. :-)
ok, nothing is more about Appearance than the templates :-) But the plugins are ... hm ... the sidebar plugins are about design, well. But the event-plugins are about technical enhancements.
I do think that event plugins also affect the broader term "Appearance", because it changes how your blog looks&feels.
by the way: Does any not-techie know what an event-plugin is?
I'd be interested in this, too. My current belief is, that it's understandable. But there's a more complex trouble, we cannot really rename "event-plugins" to something like "technical plugins" or whatever else, because 1. all kind of documentation and threads on the forum would no longer fit, 2. "event plugin" at least for me is something I got so used to that I would surely continue to use it when I write/talk about it ;)
I think short menu items are more preferrable, no "dual wording".
And then, is it possible to cut the event-page? one for the enhancements called "plugins" and one "Widgets" or so?
I like it pretty much that I can maintain plugins on a single page easily. Technically, it would also require a lot of work to split the pages in two.
It's nice for a "proof of concept" or for some alternate templates. By default I would not like to have such a menu. I want to have ALL menu items quickly assignable, I do not first want to click on one item to see its sub-items.

I tried to be short to keep the discussion easy :-)

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

>I do not first want to click on one item to see its sub-items.
That's the nice thing about hover-menus: you don't have to :)
sincerely
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

onli wrote:>I do not first want to click on one item to see its sub-items.
That's the nice thing about hover-menus: you don't have to :)
sincerely
Clicking or mouseovering is the same: I cannot see every subitem at once. That sucks. For me.

Regards,
Garvin
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

That's a pity, because it is aimed at user who knows their blog well enought to not have to see all menu-items at once, because they know where they are. If those don't accept such a menu, and I thought of you as a kind of prototype of that user-type, there is no sense in making something like that.

Regarding the "Appearance"-menu: I suggest Enhancements. Choosing another template may be an enhancement, and adding plugins definitely is. Another proposal: Customization.
sincerely
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

What I really love about serendipity is that I am able to achieve most things I want with very little clicks. I can go to every submenu instantly, even when I'm writing an article. Since I often use tabs and multiple contents of my admin view, this is really important that I don't need to move my mouse around to "enable" new submenus.

I do understand that people see this differently, whichi s why I'm all for creating admin templates for this, maybe even a cool bulletproof option toggle to say "folded out menus" or "mouseover menus". But I think that this is one of the points that users do appreciate about a vanilla s9y installation, so I wouldn't want this feature to replace the current view...

$0.02 :

Regards,
Garvin
stm999999999
Regular

Post by stm999999999 »

Garvin: Please differentiate between the look and the content of my proof of content-page!

Yes: The look with the memu above and the hover-effect should be an alternative no standard. But this is not the topic here - I just did not want to design a second page for this issue here.

The content on the other hand should be rethought!

Please believe me, the actual arrangement is a problem for non-techie-users. I have/had to multi-user-blogs with "normal" people, I have to explain a lot for the menu-items.

and in the moment these changes must be equal to all, because - as I understand this - the menu is made in the core-php-source, or? If it would made by a template, we can make this an alternative

I pretty much favor "Entries" as the top item. I don't like this new "content" nomenclature, also because s9y users should be used to "Entries" and IMHO it fits.
I think this name is from the time where entries are one and only, or at least the main part in thist top-item. But now:

In what way is a static page, a poll, a calender item, a comment-managment an "entry"?

The sub-items depend on your amount of plugins.
of course, but I do not have very uncommon plugins and it is too long.

I do think that event plugins also affect the broader term "Appearance", because it changes how your blog looks&feels.

First of all the enhance the functionality. And in german "Aussehen" is much more irritating.
I'd be interested in this, too. My current belief is, that it's understandable. But there's a more complex trouble, we cannot really rename "event-plugins" to something like "technical plugins" or whatever else, because 1. all kind of documentation and threads on the forum would no longer fit, 2. "event plugin" at least for me is something I got so used to that I would surely continue to use it when I write/talk about it
Hm, this is a reason. I do not know if this argument should stop an necessary change, but in the moment we discuss the necessity - the consideration would be the next step, I think.

I think short menu items are more preferrable, no "dual wording".
short is good, well. But it is not an end in itself, the goal should be usability. And sometimes detailed is better for this.
I like it pretty much that I can maintain plugins on a single page easily. Technically, it would also require a lot of work to split the pages in two.
hm ... this argument and the last about the docs: What is about a compromise to place an explenation beneath the headlines on the plugin-page?

It's nice for a "proof of concept" or for some alternate templates. By default I would not like to have such a menu. I want to have ALL menu items quickly assignable,
As written above: this look is only intended as an alternative! And the look should not the topic here, this should be seperated in the other thread.
Ciao, Stephan
stm999999999
Regular

Post by stm999999999 »

onli wrote: Another proposal: Customization.
sincerely
this seems a good term to me! But "Anpassungen" in german?
Ciao, Stephan
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
and in the moment these changes must be equal to all, because - as I understand this - the menu is made in the core-php-source, or? If it would made by a template, we can make this an alternative
No. The navigation is issued by the admin .tpl file. The remaining PHP code is a fallback, when Smarty fails on garbaged installations.
I think this name is from the time where entries are one and only, or at least the main part in thist top-item. But now:

In what way is a static page, a poll, a calender item, a comment-managment an "entry"?
In the way that is an entry item that is displayed on the blog.

A poll or calendar items simply put themselve there because the plugin creator chose it to be placed there. But all of them mention submenus where entries can be created (calendar entries, static page entries, comments to entries :-) )

First of all the enhance the functionality. And in german "Aussehen" is much more irritating.
I agree that "Aussehen" is a word to try to not use an anglicism like "Design".

>>> First of all, what is about "Design & Enhancements"?
>> I think short menu items are more preferrable, no "dual wording".
> short is good, well. But it is not an end in itself, the goal should be usability. And sometimes detailed
> is better for this.

I think we would need to come up with a single term.
hm ... this argument and the last about the docs: What is about a compromise to place an explenation beneath the headlines on the plugin-page?
Something like "Sidebar plugins are shown on your blog's frontend and can be arranged in their position" and "Event plugins control the functionality of your blog, add features or connect to other services"?

Best regards,
Garvin
aschlemmer
Regular

Post by aschlemmer »

Sidebar plugins are shown on your blog's frontend and can be arranged in their position
Event plugins control the functionality of your blog, add features or connect to other services
I like this idea most.
It would help very much for beginners.

regards,
Achim
www.ms-reporter.de
Pharma-unabhängige Infos für Multiple Sklerose-Betroffene
schnellze.it
Einzigartiges Zusammenspiel aus Popfetcher und s9y