Installation on WinXP and E_STRICT (0.8b2)

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
Jake Stonebender

Installation on WinXP and E_STRICT (0.8b2)

Post by Jake Stonebender »

Hello everyone,

Like the title says, I'm installing 0.8b2 on WinXP with E_STRICT on my dev box.

I've been finding things that don't work during the installation since the assumption in the code seems to be that installation will only be on *nix. Since I like what I've seen of s9y, I decided to start rolling up my sleeves and tweaking things to get it to run on Windows.

Once I get things working, would the s9y team be interested in receiving diffs?

If not, that's fine, but I'll give a pointer to what needs to be looked at if Windows porting is a later option. Using dirname() on '\somepath\filename.php' on a Windows box return '\somepath'. In some cases, that's fine, but when creating a URI for header('Location: etc..'), that backslash messes things up.

In addition, using E_STRICT causes a handful of notices showing up on web pages where array indices and other variables do not exist, but they're tested against, or passed into other functions. I'm in the process of chasing those down too.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Installation on WinXP and E_STRICT (0.8b2)

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi Jake!

First off, Serendipity should work in WinXP with Apache without serious problem, at least some users are using it. You should however turn off E_STRICT. Serendipity is not suitable for E_STRICT.

There are many places where we were aware of going against E_STRICT, for performance sake. Like what you report with missing array indices: It's just more costy to perform another array check and more code to read.

You are right about the dirname issues - if you are able to create some patches/diffs for fixing issues, this would be much welcome! Thanks!

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
CapriSkye
Regular

Post by CapriSkye »

my blog is installed on windows server 2003, without any problem, not sure if it makes any difference.