TinyMCE Plugin Install Problem

Having trouble installing serendipity?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
bebr wrote:
garvinhicking wrote:Sadly I myself don't use WYSIWYG editors, so I can't really tell how to do that.
The question is IMHO not related to the editor - as tinyMCE seems to read any available style into its menu - how do we make a (new) style available (like there are now serendipity_date .. _title .. _entry .. _admin .. _comment etc).
You can add a new style by editing the template's style.css file and inserting the CSS-Code for the style you want to have.
IMHO "relative path to the 'tinymce' directory" is already quite obvious ..
Leaves open if it's a filesystem or URL path, if it starts and/or ends with a slash and if 'tinymce' should be added to the end. So an example would be helpful.
[/quote]

Ah, I found out the example was using a wrong 'basepath' because its variable was not declared global. I just fixed that so that the installation path should now be proper.

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
bebr
Regular

Post by bebr »

Hi,
garvinhicking wrote:You can add a new style by editing the template's style.css file and inserting the CSS-Code for the style you want to have.
But I wanted to have it in the editor's menu - that was the reason to install tinyMCE in the first place. So I found:
http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/Tin ... ontent_css

"Any CSS classes defined in your CSS file will show up in the styles dropdown lists."
Now the "content_css" parameter was found here:
plugins/serendipity_event_tinymce/serendipity_event_tinymce.php

That's where I inserted the path to templates/mystyle/style.css - it would be more elegant though to have some variable $template_path here but I couldn't identify that up to now.
It works now - for selected text as well as paragraphs.
(path parameter) .. fixed that so that the installation path should now be proper.
Great, thanks.
// Bernd
Last edited by bebr on Wed May 02, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!
"Any CSS classes defined in your CSS file will show up in the styles dropdown lists."
Now the "content_css" parameter was found here:
plugins/serendipity_event_tinymce/serendipity_event_tinymce.php

That's where I inserted the path to templates/mystyle/style.css - it would be more elegant though to have some variable $template_path here but I couldn't identify that up to now.
Hm, I don't understand. What do you need the variable for, what should it look like? Why does the standard frontend style not suffice?

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
bebr
Regular

Post by bebr »

You're right - I just changed line 131 back to:
.. <?php echo serendipity_rewriteURL('serendipity.css'); ?>

.. and my styles are still in the menu.
When I tested it the first time they did not appear and after I changed the parameter they did - might have been a cache issue.
Ok, sorry for the debate, just adding to style.css is fine.
TKS
Regular

Post by TKS »

garvinhicking wrote:Hi!

This error can happen if you did not install TinyMCE completely.
It dosn't work in IE either. By the way, what is the "relative HTTP path to the "tinymce" directory"?

Currently it set to: /plugins/serendipity_event_tinymce/tinymce/
You must set that to the exact path where you installed TinyMCE into, according to the installation instructions.

If you entered that directory, try to call this URL in your browser:

http://yourblog/plugins/serendipity_eve ... e_gzip.php

If that URL does not show you a javascript code, then this directory does not exist and you must enter the proper path and/or download the proper TinyMCE package frmo the TinyMCE homepage.

HTH,
Garvin
What happens when we call that url and it DOES display javascript...but the plugin still doesn't work?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Then we ask for more details on HOW it doesn't work, and see what we can figure out? :wink:

It seems that none of the developers actually use the tinyMCE editor, so none of us are familiar with how it works. If you tell us what you expected to see, and what you're actually seeing, we can look through the code and try to figure out what went wrong.

You can also help by bringing up your JavaScript console and telling us if the plugin is causing any errors there.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
TKS
Regular

Post by TKS »

judebert wrote:Then we ask for more details on HOW it doesn't work, and see what we can figure out? :wink:

It seems that none of the developers actually use the tinyMCE editor, so none of us are familiar with how it works. If you tell us what you expected to see, and what you're actually seeing, we can look through the code and try to figure out what went wrong.

You can also help by bringing up your JavaScript console and telling us if the plugin is causing any errors there.
JavaScript console is something I've never grokked or used :( Sorry there.

To be honest, it's not worth the time or effort to get this working. It's too bad this couldn't packaged to work out of the box instead of having all the manual steps. I've seen other blogging platforms make this be just a checkbox.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

I think we can all agree on that. I'd much rather have it as a simple configuration option.

Unfortunately, we don't have venture capitalist investments, like some other blogs, so our developer time is strictly limited. We need more developers and/or more debuggers: people who can take the time and effort to figure out exactly how something isn't working, so the developers can jump in and fix it quickly.
Judebert
---
TKS
Regular

Post by TKS »

Tell you what, help me get this thing up and running, and I'll document it...since that is what I do for a living.

So far, I've got the plugin installed and extracted EXACTLY like the instructions are...I can hit the aforementioned url and see code...yet the plugin doesn't work.

I previously used the built in WYSIWYG plugin for s9y (htmlarea one) and it has worked fine for me since 2005. I'm looking at making my posts a bit more rich and wanted to look at TinyMCE as an option.

So I'm in if anyone wants to help me...heck, I can even start a new thread if needs be. I'm ready.
TKS
Regular

Post by TKS »

Got it :) Well, for the FCKEditor anyway.

Still can't get the TinyMCE plugin to work at all. Instructions for FCKEditor below:

Ok, so the language is confusing on the instructions for the plugin...I've detailed what I did here:

http://board.s9y.org/viewtopic.php?p=73416

That's for FCKEditor but I'll work on others as well and post them.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Thanks for the HOWTO, TKS!

We'd love to help get TinyMCE working. Is it not showing you an editor at all, just a big HTML text area?

If you use FireFox, you can load a page with the editor, then go to the Tools menu and pick "Error Console". The errors there will help us figure out what went wrong.
Judebert
---
rhacer
Regular

Post by rhacer »

http://www.craigelachie.org/standingfas ... e_gzip.php

Provides me with the javascript code.

My path is currently set to

/standingfast/plugins/serendipity_event_tinymce/tinymce/

yet I'm still getting javascript errors in my console when I try and use TinyMCE.

Any suggestions?
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Maybe. What are the errors?

Is TinyMCE installed in your webroot under /standingfast/plugins/serendipity_event_tinymce/tinymce/?
Judebert
---
AdamZ
Regular

Re: TinyMCE Plugin Install Problem

Post by AdamZ »

okay, in case anyone finds this thread, i got the plugin working after some hair pulling. the instructions in the plugin are somewhere between vague and wrong.

so make sure that you download the package and the compressor.

the package installation is straightforward, i think. so i won't discuss that. it should leave you with the folder ../serendipity_event_tinymce/tinymce with two folders and a file in it.

but the compressor installation causes problems. so what you need to do:

basically the way that the tinymce_compressor_php_2.x.zip file is designed, it won't work if you just extract it. you need to make sure the files called tiny_mce_gzip.php and tiny_mce_gzip.js are in the directory plugins/serendipity_event_tinymce/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce - by default it will probably end up in a directory called tinymce_compressor_php with four other files - it WILL NOT WORK if it is in that directory.

Okay, so NOW you need to go into your plugin configuration for TinyMCE and the change the default path so it looks like this:

/subdirectory_if_applicable/plugins/serendipity_event_tinymce

SLASH at the beginning and NO SLASH at the end.

Now you should be up and running.

I hope this post alleviates some of the frustration that I had.

And finally be aware of the "well duh" mistake of not enabling WYSIWYG in "Personal Settings," the second link down on the top left. I think some people look in the main configuration section, but that isn't the right place.

HTH
Cre8or

Re: TinyMCE Plugin Install Problem

Post by Cre8or »

I followed all of the orientations above and the TinyMCE is not working. Can somebody throw me a bone? Please,

Jeri