Test site

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Andyman77
Regular

Test site

Post by Andyman77 »

Hiya,

I have my main site and a test site which I use for testing new features and for testing serendipity 1.1.

The test blog is relatively new, but I wanted to use the same data from my main site in the test blog. Obviously, I want to use different databases for each.

What I did, was to export the main blog database using phpmyadmin. I exported all fields.

I then imported this to the test blog...
on doing this both of the sites went all funny. I discovered that the test site was using it's database, but so was the main site! Obviously this made a big mess. the serendipity_config_local.inc.php file had also changed
I managed to get all the sites backup and running.

Anyway, the question is, how can I use data from my main site to run on my test site without having the same problem as mentioned above.

TIA,

Andy
Serendipity - Site, finished ;)
Mine that is ... so lots of nonsensical Stuff
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

You'd have to point the two blogs to different databases. (It sounds like they were both accessing the same database.) That should be in the serendipity_config.local.php for each blog.

Alternatively, you could do what I do: use a different prefix for each blog. Each then gets to create its own tables, even though they're in the same database. Before you could import your old blog, though, you'd need to edit the table names in the .sql file.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
Andyman77
Regular

Post by Andyman77 »

Hiya Judebert,

Yep they both were looking at eachother's database. what I wanted to do was to have 2 separate databases one for each site, but all I wanted to do was to import the data into from the current blog into the test one.
I have done the same for a drupal based site, where by I imported the whole contents of a running site into a test/development site so that I would do an upgrade.

So I'm just wondering what's the best way to do this for serendipity.

TIA.

Andy
Bobasaur
Regular

different databases

Post by Bobasaur »

Andyman77 wrote:Hiya Judebert,

"...So I'm just wondering what's the best way to do this for serendipity.

TIA.

Andy
Andy,

Go to Serendipity Admin, Database Settings, and change the prefix to something different for your test site, ex: serendipty_test_ and both databases can reside in the same directory.

Good Luck!

Bob
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Is that resolved for you, Andy?
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
Andyman77
Regular

Post by Andyman77 »

Hiya,

I think I have found out what caused the double read of data.
first point of to check is change
change serendipity_config_local.inc.php to point to the new DB.

Also I made a change in the DB it's self in the Serendipity_config and made manual changes there to point to the new site.

I didn't do anything like that when I tried to do the work last time round.

This worked very well for me.

Andy