Installation Permissions

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Sarpy Sam

Installation Permissions

Post by Sarpy Sam »

I have read this post:

http://www.s9y.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=375

and still do not understand which permissions need changed after installation. I look in my folder and I have all kinds of different permissions depending on folder and contents. Assume I am an idiot and tell me please which directories and/or files need thier permissions changed? The bundled-libs/create-release.sh script makes no sense to me.
jhermanns
Site Admin

Post by jhermanns »

you don't need a script at all to install s9y. just copy the files to your webserver. then make sure, that the directory where you put the files (typically serendipity/) is writeable to the webserver. if there's a user wwwdata, www-data or wwwrun on your machine, give it a go and allow this user to write to the serendipity folder.

then open the directory in your webbrowser (typically www.yourdomain.com/serendipity) and follow the installation steps you see.

oky? :)
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

I don't have my own server, so I don't know if it has a www user. But I notice that the files that s9y creates (eg archives, serendipity_local_config_inc.php) have owner nobody in my webhost. By the way, you can't change the owner of files unless you are root. I just change all my files to 644 (rw-r--r--), directories to 755 (rwxr-xr-x).
jhermanns
Site Admin

Post by jhermanns »

oh, the installation worked? if the directories and files have been created, everything should be working?