Serendipity Causing Apache To Crash!

Having trouble installing serendipity?
johnmann

Serendipity Causing Apache To Crash!

Post by johnmann »

Not sure why, but if I install Apache/MySQL/PHP fresh, Serendipity installs and works great. After about 15 minutes of using it (setup and first post), it causes Apache to crash. Once it crashes the first time, I can no longer run Serendipity, although other webpages and php pages on the same website, even the same directory work fine. I have to reinstall Apache/MySQL/PHP and Serendipity to get it to work at all again.

Anyone heard of this happening, or have any suggestions as to what I can do?
gnubit
Regular

More datas please

Post by gnubit »

Can you be more specific

What tipe of operating system, what version of Apache,mysql and php too.

I'm using Serendipity on
- Linux (Apache 1.3.33,PHP 4.4.0,Mysql 4.1.14)
- Windows (Apache 1.3.31,PHP 4.3.8,Mysql 4.0.20)

Without any problem
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: More datas please

Post by garvinhicking »

What exactly did you click on your s9y tool? Did you maybe change things in the configuration?

Usually an application cannot suddenly stop working...maybe you changed the config, and then the .htaccess got written which contains contents that are not applicable on your host. Try to temporarily remove .htaccess and see if it starts working again?

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
johnmann

Re: More datas please

Post by johnmann »

gnubit wrote:Can you be more specific? What tipe of operating system, what version of Apache,mysql and php too.
I have tried several setups.

I use Windows XP Professional, SP2 and S9Y 0.8.4

My first setup was PHP 5.1.0RC1 with Apache 2.0.54 and MySQL 5.0.12
S9Y installed flawlessly, and worked fine for almost 8 hours. After going to bed, I woke up to find that even going to the index.php page would crash Apache. That's when I tried all kinds of things.

I finally saw the post about WAMP, and decided to use it, since it's a known working installation of AMP. So, I downloaded it, version 1.4.4. It uses: PHP 5.0.4, Apache 1.3.33, MySQL 4.1.14

I also get the following error after this last AMP install when I install S9Y:

Code: Select all

Installing default plugins...
Warning: main(S9Y_PEAR_PATHXML/RPC.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\wamp\www\testbed\include\functions.inc.php on line 9
Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'S9Y_PEAR_PATHXML/RPC.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\wamp\php\pear;C:\wamp\php\pear') in c:\wamp\www\testbed\include\functions.inc.php on line 9
Done
Attempting to write .htaccess file...... Done
Serendipity has been successfully installed
Visit your new blog here
Thank you for choosing Serendipity
And, yes, PEAR is installed and working correctly on my PHP installation.

I went on and clicked the link since it said it was successful........... But I cannot go to the s9y configuration page. At least this is a step forward! I can edit that in the phpmyadmin page if i need to change main options.

When I try to go to the configuration page it loads almost all of the way up, then crashes apache and the page is truncated. I get about half of the menu, though. This also doesn't make sense to me since the S9Y_PEAR_PATH doesn't show up as a path - it shows up as the variable's name in text!

Everything is working in S9Y right now except the config page in the admin section. That, and this error during installation, but...

I've gotten it this far - at least it is running!
gizmola
Regular

Post by gizmola »

I suspect it may be a php memory issue. Try going into your php.ini file, and finding the memory_limit parameter. Increase that from 8m to 16m and see if that helps. Don't forget to restart apache.