Installing serendipity-0.6-pl2 questions

Having trouble installing serendipity?
risc_*
Regular

Installing serendipity-0.6-pl2 questions

Post by risc_* »

Okay I sshed into my sever and used curl to grap serendipity-0.6-pl2 unpacked it with gtar simple enough....

I then accessed the serendipity dir from my broswer and clikced the install link (serendipity_admin.php)... but that kinda brought down my server for a few minutes as a serendipity_admin.php as a PHPSESSID was attached the the URL... after figuring out its a bad idea to click install with when the URL contained the PHPSESSID (which it did part of the time... I'll explain that part later). I was able to finally complete the install.

HOWEVER... after the install was done the serendipity dir was set to 777 (before the install it was 755) which my apache didn't like nor did it like:
php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
php_value register_globals off

I installed serendipity a few times before I started playing around with the permissions... I ended changing the serendipity to 755 and the started to comment out different values in the .htaccess file.

So two things... four really
- Why does the install change serendipity from 755 to 777? (okay easy for the install right... but if your suggest to change it then from 777 to 744 why doesn't the installer do this?)

- What problems/risks could I run into having my install dir set to 755 not 744 and editing out php_value session.use_trans_sid 0 and php_value register_globals off

- How/where would I turn the php_value for .htaccess file when it rebuilds...

- From what I understand I need to imput all entries for other software via an RSS file... I did a test run on that... and found that everything that was imported was set as a draft... does an easy way exist to change its state from draft to publish all?

BTW so far from my play/testing of serendipity I’ve totally enjoyed as it is very responsive... now I just need to figure out how the themes work and make my site look a little different...