Can't assign a Category

Having trouble installing serendipity?
freymann
Regular

Can't assign a Category

Post by freymann »

We upgraded our older 1.6.something blog to 2.3.5 and now when we create or edit a new entry we are unable to assign a category... the list never appears and if we click the category button nothing happens.

I did a fresh install of 2.3.5 and pointed it to the existing (1.6.something) database, and it lets us log in and we can see the existing blog entries OK.

Default backend theme.

Did some type of database migration fail to happen?
onli
Regular

Re: Can't assign a Category

Post by onli »

Possible. There haven't been that many database changes though. My guess would have been that the Javascript that open the overlay to select the categories was broken. That can happen if e.g. an outdated plugin got called.

Is the new install working fine now?
freymann
Regular

Post by freymann »

The blog is working and displaying properly, we just can't assign a category to new entries when logged in.

A missing Javascript is what I'm suspecting.

We had somebody modify the bazooka theme years ago, I'm having a look through the directory to see if it's missing something. Looks like we are using own header completely so any default Javascript calls will be missing now.

I'm installing a fresh copy on a test server and will view source and compare in hopes of finding out what the missing scripts are.
freymann
Regular

Post by freymann »

On a fresh install, when I log in as admin and view source, the backend theme is the default and both are showing the same things in the header.

The only difference I saw was:

on the fresh test install
<script src="http://localhost/serendipity/index.php? ... "></script>

compared to this:
<script src="http://localhost/serendipity/index.php? ... "></script>

(the urls are different, I just copied the first and added the number after v=)

I've been removing plugins that were custom built, updated all the other plugins.

I'm going to download the DB from the live version and do another fresh install on my home PC, and point it to downloaded db. This install would be missing plugins which I will remove. And I'll copy over our theme and activate it and see if the select categories pop up works.

A lot easier to break a test system then tinker with the live version.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Definitely.

The missing v=... could impact how the cache works, but it should not break anything in everyday use.
freymann
Regular

Re: Can't assign a Category - RESOLVED

Post by freymann »

I ended up doing a fresh install, no extra plugins, carefully edited and updated our theme and after a fresh database, replaced about 8 tables from our working site, and we seem to be OK other than one smarty error I need to investigate separately.

I've changed this subject reply to RESOLVED. I would say upgrading from version 1.x to 2.3.5 with an old theme is not recommended.