Moving blog to new server

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Stosh
Regular

Moving blog to new server

Post by Stosh »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
P.S. Version 1.5.5. (according to serendipity_config_local.inc.php)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi,
I let the nice man from godaddy talk me into moving my site to a new "CPanel" server. I told him I really didn't want to. That I really didn't have the time to move sites. He was persistent, however, and I gave in (it was a little cheaper :( ).

Well, now I've spent about 10 hours trying to move s9y, and still can't get past only error messages showing on my screen. . .

There error messages are a bit different based on which version of php I choose. Here's the text. . .

Code: Select all

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
versions: 7.x:
 Warning: 
 include(): Failed opening '/home/tc99piy3q8ma/public_html/johnrepici.com/serendipity/include/functions_installer.inc.php'
   for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/alt/php70/usr/share/pear
     :/home/tc99piy3q8ma/public_html/johnrepici.com/serendipity/bundled-libs/
       :/home/tc99piy3q8ma/public_html/johnrepici.com/serendipity/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/
         :/home/tc99piy3q8ma/public_html/johnrepici.com/serendipity/:')
           in /home/tc99piy3q8ma/public_html/johnrepici.com/serendipity/include/functions.inc.php on line 31 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in 
     /home/tc99piy3q8ma/public_html/johnrepici.com/serendipity/include/db/mysql.inc.php: 270
         Stack trace:
            #0 /home/tc99piy3q8ma/public_html/johnrepici.com/serendipity/serendipity_config.inc.php(264): serendipity_db_connect()
               #1 /home/tc99piy3q8ma/public_html/johnrepici.com/serendipity/index.php(25):include('/home/tc99piy3q...')
                 #2 {main} thrown in /home/tc99piy3q8ma/public_html/johnrepici.com/serendipity/include/db/mysql.inc.php on line 270

version 5.6:
 Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: "404.tpl"
   in /home/tc99piy3q8ma/public_html/johnrepici.com/serendipity/bundled-libs/Smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php on line 1093

I noticed that the 404.tpl display used a db field: serendipityPath, so I tried DELETE(ing) and INSERT(ing) with the path of the new server in the value column. No joy.

I've since removed the database (I can easily re-add it using the restore function in phpMyAdmin). When I try to run the board without a database I get a bunch of errors.

I'm running out of straws to clutch at. . .

Any help or guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

-John
yellowled
Regular

Re: Moving blog to new server

Post by yellowled »

You will have little to know luck trying to run s9y 1.5.5 on PHP 7.x. It's not ready. Support for PHP7.x came … I'm not even sure when, but definitely after s9y 2.x. We just managed to get the most recent release 2.3.0 to support PHP 7.2 and 7.3 more or less fully.

That being said, you want to use a recent s9y 2.3.0 (because of security issues your very, very old 1.5.5 might, no, not might,does have) with a recent PHP (preferably 7.3 if your server offers it, because speeeeeeeeed). The question is whether to update first and then move or vice versa, which may or may not depend a little on what which server offers a. If your old host offers PHP 7.x, I would try updating to s9y 2.3.0 with 7.x before moving to the new host, I guess.

Either way, you should make a full backup of your s9y installation and your database before your proceed.

As for the read error on the 404.tpl, have you checked that said file does exists and that it's permissions are correct?

YL
Stosh
Regular

Post by Stosh »

Thank you for helping me yellowled.

They do offer 7.x up to 7.3. Unfortunately, I've already moved the site, and I'm not sure how to re-establish the old site. I would guess that if I just install the newer version and point it to the old database, that it will not work.

I did a "dir *404.tpl* /S" over the backup of the serendipity directory downloaded to my local laptop. It was not found. Do you know where it should be? Should it be in the serendipity root? I've got another site out there (trying to cautiously move one site at a time). I'm not seeing a 404.tpl in the s9y root of that instance.

I've got everything set to 755, just to get it working, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again yellowled.
thh
Regular

Post by thh »

Stosh wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:31 pmThey do offer 7.x up to 7.3. Unfortunately, I've already moved the site, and I'm not sure how to re-establish the old site.
If you do have a backup (of your files and your database), I'd just install/upload s9y 2.3.0. It should update your installation and your database, even from 1.5; that's the way it's designed.
Stosh
Regular

Post by Stosh »

Thanks thh.

I'll try that as a last resort. Will I be able to change the root field (serendipityPath) once it has installed (assuming it installs and works)?

Also, re: serendipityPath:

Is there a facility in phpMyAdmin that would let me simply change the value of an existing field rather than do an SQL DELETE then INSERT statement?

Thanks again guys.

John
zenmarc

Post by zenmarc »

Moving to Cpanel is quite difficult for beginners even for professionals, that's why I am using Cloudways managed hosting because I have migrated all my websites to their server through their migrator plugin without any issue.