s9y v.1.3.1, my hoster turned off PHP 5.2 – how to bring my site back to life?

Having trouble installing serendipity?
aschlemmer
Regular

s9y v.1.3.1, my hoster turned off PHP 5.2 – how to bring my site back to life?

Post by aschlemmer »

After my Hoster discontinued php 5.2, my old 1.31 s9y crashed completely – no access to admin and front end. How to solve this in the most easy way? simply installing the most recent version of s9y? Will templates and database update smoothly?

Please give me a hint on how to proceed, thank you.

All this only happened because I tried to create a new static page for the EU laws ... in a week which is full of customers asking for changes at their sites :D
www.ms-reporter.de
Pharma-unabhängige Infos für Multiple Sklerose-Betroffene
schnellze.it
Einzigartiges Zusammenspiel aus Popfetcher und s9y
yellowled
Regular

Re: s9y v.1.3.1, my hoster turned off PHP 5.2 – how to bring my site back to life?

Post by yellowled »

Can't say that I have done something like that myself, so no guarantees, and you'll most definitely want to make a full backup (filesystem and database) before you try anything.

Your best bet probably really is to update straight to the latest version with the usual update process – as for "smoothly", no idea. I remember some people updating from pretty old versions back when 2.0 came out, but I don't recall anyone going from 1.3.1 to 2.1.x specifically.

I would also suggest to wait and see if someone else has a different idea, but I don't see any. You would need to update even if your hoster still had 5.x lying around, 1.3.1 is 10 years old and full of security issues.

Make sure you go with PHP 7.0.x, not necessarily 7.1.x and definitely not 7.2.x. Those are not fully supported yet. Good luck.

YL
aschlemmer
Regular

Re: s9y v.1.3.1, my hoster turned off PHP 5.2 – how to bring my site back to life?

Post by aschlemmer »

thanks much for your reply – I'll try as you suggested and hope the best – tomorrow morning with a fresh mind
www.ms-reporter.de
schnellze.it
aschlemmer
Regular

Post by aschlemmer »

Puh, blog is running again. Thanks yellowled, I followed his advise and s9y updated smoothly from 1.3.1 to 2.1.2. So great – I'm still loving the robustness of s9y.

Though when I try to activate PHP 7.0 by adding:

Code: Select all

AddHandler php-fastcgi7.0 .php .phtml
to htaccess, I get an error 500. With 5.3 it runs fine. Why does this happen, someone an idea? Just curious to understand more.
www.ms-reporter.de
schnellze.it
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Not knowing how your hoster has set things up, are you positive this is the correct syntax? Maybe it's php-fastcgi7.0.30 or something? Other than that, I'm drawing a blank here. Maybe there's something in your .htaccess that does not work with php7? Did you use fastcgi before or is php5.x … well, non-fastcgi (however that's called).

YL
aschlemmer
Regular

Post by aschlemmer »

ah, it's Profihost from Hannover, maybe I ask their support by mail. The Profihost FAQ served what I pasted here, so maybe the FAQ are outdated
www.ms-reporter.de
schnellze.it