Upgrade 1.2.1 > 1.7.8: Serendipity upgrader doesn't invoke

Having trouble installing serendipity?
tkemmere
Regular

Upgrade 1.2.1 > 1.7.8: Serendipity upgrader doesn't invoke

Post by tkemmere »

Dear anyone,

I'm trying to updrage from 1.2.1 to 1.7.8. (Forgive me for not doing that regularly).

- I backupped everything;
- I uploaded and overwrote the old file-structure with the new one (except ...config.inc.php);
- I chmod 777 where needed;
- I went to the site but couldn't login;
- I did the...

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE sd_authors ADD COLUMN hashtype int(1);
    ALTER TABLE sd_authors CHANGE password password VARCHAR(64) NOT NULL;
...thing;
- Then I could login again;
- But I didn't see the Serendipity upgrader, just the admin panel;
- Then I logged out, cleared all related cookies and cache of today;
- Then I logged in again, but still I just get to the admin panel, not the upgrader.
- I also logged in in anther browser that I had not used for this site yet. Same thing.

I do see that my custom-made theme is gone, so the overwriting process did work. Also all 3032 files transferred correctly. Also I changed my password, logged out and in, and changed it again, and out an in.

Is anyone available to assist me with invoking the Serendipity upgrader?

Thanks in advance, Thomas.
Timbalu
Regular

Re: Upgrade 1.2.1 > 1.7.8: Serendipity upgrader doesn't invo

Post by Timbalu »

tkemmere wrote:- I uploaded and overwrote the old file-structure with the new one (except ...config.inc.php);
Sounds all good - except this one!
I think you mixed it up with serendpity_config_local.inc.php, which holds your credentials and is build on installation only.
Therefore you need to copy the serendipity_config.inc.php file too, since this builds the version, among others, which fires the upgrader.

...not regulary would be once a year, not near to a decade! ;-)
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
tkemmere
Regular

Post by tkemmere »

Woops! That could very well be it!
I'll go and deal with that now and report back.
...not regulary would be once a year, not near to a decade! ;-)
I know I know. But it was running VERY well and had my regular backups in case of a hack. It is actually my hosts upgrade from php5.2 to 5.3 that 'set me off on this journey' :wink:

Thanks so far.
Last edited by tkemmere on Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tkemmere
Regular

[SOLVED] Upgrade 1.2.1 > 1.7.8: s9y upgrader doesn't invoke

Post by tkemmere »

Yesss! It worked.

Only error: ALTER TABLE sd_authors ADD COLUMN hashtype int(1);
/ Duplicate column name 'hashtype'

But that makes sense ofcourse, considdering I made that column this morning.

Your Serendipity installation is now upgraded to version 1.7.8

Thanks to Timbalu / Ian!

PS. Maybe a mod can add [solved] to the thread title.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

tkemmere wrote:But it was running VERY well and had my regular backups in case of a hack.
That's really not a valid reason to not do regular updates.

Other than security fixes, you're also missing out on all the stuff that's been improved over time. Plus, a patch update (meaning from x.y.y to x.y.z) is usually not a big deal. Also, it's usually easier to upgrade from x.y.x to x.z.x if the step between y and z is not that big. :)

YL
tkemmere
Regular

Post by tkemmere »

Hi Yellowled,

Thanks. Yes you have a good point. Actually more than one good points. And I agree with you.
It is just that in practice I don't end up getting down to it. That's the reality.

Probably in my defence, it would be interesting to see a bar-chart of howmany upgrades are performed by all s9y-admins, against different step-sizes (where a step is z minus y).

Luckily dispite my step-size being 5 and thus very big, the upgrade process went basically smooth. Compliments for s9y. I ended up in a similar situation with "CMS made Simple", but there it hoplessly failed.

Thomas.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

tkemmere wrote:Probably in my defence, it would be interesting to see a bar-chart of howmany upgrades are performed by all s9y-admins, against different step-sizes (where a step is z minus y).
I don't want to see that. :wink:

Sure, there have been releases in the past which have been more and less important, and Garvin usually points out in the release announcement if an important security fix or something. We might even have been guilty of having to release another update the day after we released an update once or twice.

But still – updating s9y is (usually) not that hard, especially if you have a good hoster that does backups automagically and makes it easy for you to roll back if something goes wrong with an update.

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

To make updates even easier, we have a plugin that does the upgrade for you (serendipity_event_autoupdate). If your hoster has automatic backups, all you need to do with that is to click on a button to update to the newest version. Otherwise, you still should make a backup first (though it has some fallbback mechanisms).
tkemmere
Regular

Post by tkemmere »

Thanks guys for the replies.

I think I'll try the serendipity_event_autoupdate plug-in cause my host does do good backups.

(I would call it serendipity_event_one_click_update though) :-P

T

PS, Mod can add [solved] to topic header, thanks