Trying to update

Having trouble installing serendipity?
chiriqui
Regular

Trying to update

Post by chiriqui »

I think it 5.3 to 5.5 lite
I couldn't get the linux cp -rf command to run without asking every bloody time if I wanted to overwrite a file so I tried to do it manually until I got tired hitting the "y" a billion times

Now the bolg loads a blank page.

How do I recover?

I have a data base that should still exist.
I figure I start from the beginning and down load a fresh copy of the s9y. Create the directories it needs that for some reason are not supplied .. I forget their names at the moment.

Question: How do I tie into the existing database or will s9y see the "old" database when it starts up.

Sorry I can't be more technical about this. I'm just a end user
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: Trying to update

Post by Don Chambers »

I am only a Windows user, but it sounds like you simply need to FTP a fresh copy of serendipity and make sure that all files transfer correctly. Provided the file serendipity_config_local.inc.php still exists, serendipity will have all the information it needs to connect to your existing database.
=Don=
chiriqui
Regular

Post by chiriqui »

Ugh this has occupied my whole day with total frustration.
I pretty much did as you suggested without having read your response. I back here because I have a problem still ...of course

I abandoned trying a upgrade and went to a fresh install of the latest version 1.5.5 loosing all my features

I got my blog working EXCEPT it's not reading all the records of the database in particular the media records??? which happens to be 90% of my input

Do I need to got back to version 1.5.3 to recover?

thanks
craig
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

chiriqui wrote:I got my blog working EXCEPT it's not reading all the records of the database in particular the media records??? which happens to be 90% of my input

Do I need to got back to version 1.5.3 to recover?
No, this should not be necessary.

Are you sure it's not reading the actual records in the database -- or could it be a permissions issue with the directory the media files are stored in (usually: uploads)? The files referenced in the media db should have a physical "copy" in said directory. These files need to be readable for the webserver. This means a) the owner or group of these files should be set to the webserver or a group the webserver is a member of. Example: www-data (pretty common on Linux servers). They also need to be at least readable for said owner or group.

Example: file.jpg owner/group: www-data:www-data permissions: 644 means the file is readable and writeable for the user www-data, only readable for members of the group www-data and only readable for everybody else.

YL
chiriqui
Regular

Post by chiriqui »

well it's screwed now it would seem
I removed 1.5.5 went back 1.5.3 got the same, text with no pictures
I explored the menu items going to I think "media library" and it listed the heading of the photos and said something .... maybe they were deleted.. Then I tried another media tool and then .. you know what this like trying to trace back.. its ridiculous. I couldn't get that listing of to come up again.

I called up a tool to look at the database "myphpadimin" and it reports now that the image records are empty. puff

So beware!
s9y will zap ya

I'm installing a new data base and never touching upgrade again or until it's fail safe

in answer to your reply trying to assist me. Everything was working until I tried an upgrade. No permissions were change anywhere
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

chiriqui wrote:I'm installing a new data base and never touching upgrade again or until it's fail safe
Upgrade usually is fail safe. You can always make it even safer by doing a backup, i.e. backing up your files via FTP and making a MySQL dump before you start the actual upgrade process. Personally, I haven't made a backup in years in my own blog, and the upgrade never failed.

Talking about safety, not upgrading at all actually is what's not safe. You might be exposed to security issues in the future which could in the worst case result in much worse scenarios.

YL