Brainstorming: What do we "need" template-wise?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

garvinhicking wrote:......Especially if you want bulletproof to be used for virtually every s9y template. ;)
I don't know if our expectations are THAT high!!!! :lol:

OK - I accept the date stuff as proposed.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Anyway, do YOU personally prefer the fluid over the fixed???
I must have been confused. I seemed to remember the fixed thing requiring horizontal scrolling in 1024x768, which is of course BS. Other than that, I really don't have a preference, although I think the fixed one looks a little bit more ... erm ... "finished", I guess. So let's not discuss this to death and go with the fixed one as default :)
Don Chambers wrote:Hell, I just moved one of the icons down 2 pixels this morning!!! Talk about anal!!! LOL!!!
I ususally don't talk about anal, thanks :wink: (Just kidding, I of course know what you meant :))
Don Chambers wrote:Other than that, I agree on the docsite stuff. Right now I cannot publish any entry!!!!!! Only choice is draft, even though I am a member of the admin group. Wanna poke around inside the database and see if you can determine the cause simply by comparing each of our respective settings?
I really don't. Just go ahead writing drafts, I'm going to update it to svn 1.2 tomorrow at the latest. Then we'll see what's happening.

So I see you have given in on the date stuff :) I have to say, I agree with Garvin here. Can't be that hard to figure out the strftime variables.

Anyway, I'm proud (Gnarf.) to announce we have another bug. Robert Lender kindly jumped in as a Mac beta tester, and he reported via email that the footer doesn't expand to it's full width in Safari or Opera/Mac. I can reproduce it in Opera/Linux, and I hear there's a Safari/Win beta available, so I'll check that out later and try to fix it.

Do you have any idea how to add hacks for Safari and/or Opera by any chance?

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

yellowled wrote:I seemed to remember the fixed thing requiring horizontal scrolling in 1024x768, which is of course BS.
The fixed version does not require horizontal scrolling.
yellowled wrote:Anyway, I'm proud (Gnarf.) to announce we have another bug. Robert Lender kindly jumped in as a Mac beta tester, and he reported via email that the footer doesn't expand to it's full width in Safari or Opera/Mac. I can reproduce it in Opera/Linux, and I hear there's a Safari/Win beta available, so I'll check that out later and try to fix it.

Do you have any idea how to add hacks for Safari and/or Opera by any chance?
Get rid of height: 1% in base.css and add width: 100%. The height thing was put in there for IE6, but width: 100% works just fine in IE6. I know it did not in an earlier version, but I'll bet that could also have been related to that nasty equal column height method we have since removed.

I do not have Safari or Opera, so unfortunately, I have never paid much attention to those hacks. Hopefully, adding width: 100% will solve the problem. In fact, I am adding stuff to the css files for this footer nav thing, so if you want to hold off, I will make that change myself and send everything to you.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:
yellowled wrote:I seemed to remember the fixed thing requiring horizontal scrolling in 1024x768, which is of course BS.
The fixed version does not require horizontal scrolling.
I know. That's why it was BS to assume it did. :)
Don Chambers wrote:Get rid of height: 1% in base.css and add width: 100%. The height thing was put in there for IE6, but width: 100% works just fine in IE6.
I came up with width: 100% myself, but had to add a padding: 0.25em 0!important to the IE stylesheets to fix that in IE. Fuckin' box model bug. I'll try losing the height later, maybe we can skip the padding thing in the IE stylesheets.
Don Chambers wrote:I do not have Safari or Opera, so unfortunately, I have never paid much attention to those hacks.
Just tried it in Safari/Win (Beta3), works like a charm. I do have Opera, but that footer bug somehow got past me. I have to admit I haven't looked at it in Opera as much as I have in FF or IE :)
Don Chambers wrote:In fact, I am adding stuff to the css files for this footer nav thing, so if you want to hold off, I will make that change myself and send everything to you.
Got it covered. Just send me the code for the footer thingy.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Yeah, SURE you figured it out yourself!!! :lol:

I was just looking at the padding stuff..... not sure why we even have padding for #footer, which exists in style.css AND the colorsets. I guess we can deal with that after we are sure everything else works.

Emailed you my revisions for the footer ...ummm.... "thingy". :P
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Yeah, SURE you figured it out yourself!!! :lol:
I did! :)
Don Chambers wrote:I was just looking at the padding stuff..... not sure why we even have padding for #footer, which exists in style.css AND the colorsets.
Probably because padding's basically a nice thing unless it screws up the display in IE ... as far as I can see, just losing the height doesn't do the trick in IE, but I tested it in kind of a hurry, so I'll check it out again later with http://www.yellowled.de/tmp/bulletproof-beta3a.zip.
Don Chambers wrote:Emailed you my revisions for the footer ...ummm.... "thingy". :P
I like it. I'll never love it since I wouldn't use it myself, but it's very decent and definitely a nice option to have. BTW: This is the last new feature, option or tweak we're adding. From now until release it's all bughunting (but I'm sure we won't find any more until release) and writing documentation! :wink:

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

We are still working on other aspects of the footer, but let me throw something else out there real quick regarding comment popups.

Like other aspects, we are not getting the styles we need loaded in the comment popup. It has a style of s9y_wrap, and awhile ago, we modified the stylesheets for each color to include a background color. We need more than just that, at minimum:

Code: Select all

/* container for comments when comment pop-up enabled */
.s9y_wrap {
    text-align: left;
    font-size: 69%;
    margin-left: 10px;
}
Not sure if this is best handled in the colorsets, or if this should be in base or style.css. Judgement call.... perhaps a combination.

I also suggest modifying comments.tpl to only increase the margin by 10px, instead of 20px (style="margin-left: {$comment.depth*10}px"), for each successive comment so we do not decrease width so quickly on nested comments, which is true for both pop-ups and the regular version of comments.

Now, with respect to calling this pop-up window from entries.tpl, I think the overall window size should be increased from 480 x 480 to either 600 x 600 or 600 x 480. Also should add the option to resize the window, ie:

Code: Select all

'width=600,height=480,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes'
There are about 6 instances of this including trackbacks.

Anyway, just wanted to get that one on the table. Still need to resolve the open footer issue(s). I'll let YL chew on that one while I go looking for something else we might have missed because none of us use a particular feature often.

@ Dave - you actively updating the docsite? YL sent out an email eariler today, and neither of us wants to interfere with updating to the latest s9y and bp snapshots if you are also doing the same. Respond via email to both of us if you prefer.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Like other aspects, we are not getting the styles we need loaded in the comment popup.
I'm in kind of a hurry right now, so I have this in my todo list and will look at it later.

Is it just me or is this thing getting kind of hectic again? :)

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

yellowled wrote:Is it just me or is this thing getting kind of hectic again? :)
Only because we are now working with a finite, and increasingly limited, amount of time!!!! :wink:
=Don=
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I suggested we add margin-bottom: 0.5em to .serendipity_Entry_Date awhile back, and it does exist in style.css as a result of that suggestion. I'm thinking that, either in addition to this, or in lieu of it, we need the same margin on the presently undefined .serendipity_entry. Probably in lieu of it.

That footer issue still needs resolution. I am not chasing it at the moment and hope YL is. How's that coming YL?

@ Dave - Based on your admin template, I thought you were fully up to date with the latest BP..... but peeking behind the scenes, it looks like about half the files are seriously out of date. Plus, the bp_style sheet needs a lot of work based on all the changes that have occurred in the past several weeks. The docsite style/colorset did not have a bp_graph_bar.png file, something I would have never noticed had I not been in the middle of drafting a new entry relative to colorset icons. I simply copied the default graph bar to bp_graph_bar.png to plug the hole, but you probably want to change that to something a bit more complimentary to the stylesheet..... orange???

Do you have time to tackle all this, or do you want YL or I to see if either/both of us can find the time to help you (assuming we can LOL)??? I'm not trying to step on toes here, just trying to help, so please do not take this offer the wrong way. I just think we need closure on as much of this as possible by week's end, if not sooner.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:I suggested we add margin-bottom: 0.5em to .serendipity_Entry_Date awhile back, and it does exist in style.css as a result of that suggestion. I'm thinking that, either in addition to this, or in lieu of it, we need the same margin on the presently undefined .serendipity_entry. Probably in lieu of it.
I'll check that out. I'm IMing with Garvin right now for some other changes.
Don Chambers wrote:That footer issue still needs resolution. I am not chasing it at the moment and hope YL is. How's that coming YL?
Erm, the current version is the best I came up with so for. width: auto didn't work for me in IE6 or Safari. I'll take a look at it later.
Don Chambers wrote:Do you have time to tackle all this, or do you want YL or I to see if either/both of us can find the time to help you (assuming we can LOL)???
I'm guessing we can't.

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi Guys

I'm gong to spend what time I have right now on getting s9y-bp looking as it should. I would also like to make it look and feel like a website rather than a blog if that's OK with you both.

If you concentrate on the important things that need resolving before release I'll try and get the site sorted :-)

cheers

Dave
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

OK by me, but I think it should use unedited tpl's. I look forward to seeing your creation. In a way, I'm kinda glad our deadline is approaching - it will make us stop tinkering with BP and actually start USING it!!! First order of business for me will be something that looks like my admin template. Second order of business will be that grey thing I have started, stopped, started, stopped, st..... hehehehe
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:In a way, I'm kinda glad our deadline is approaching - it will make us stop tinkering with BP and actually start USING it!!!
I have already completed (yeah, well, almost ...) my first BP derivate, the template for my own blog including a colorset for a friend. This is so much fun. You basically have to do nothing! Well, it's probably a tad more for templates loaded with graphics, but it definitely is a great base code to work with.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Guys - I am seriously impaired at the moment. Had some nasty storms come through last night. Knocked out my cable modem. Replaced that this morning, but my primary workstation does not seem to think it has an ethernet card. Nothing listed in the control panel, and I am digging around looking for the original install discs. This could be a big issue as the ethernet port is part of the mother board, and I have no free expansion slots to simply add an external.

At the moment, I am using a laptop, but this does not have any of my s9y stuff on it, nor email. I'll do what I can, as quick as I can, but right now there is almost nothing I can do without a HUGE transfer of stuff from the workstation to this laptop. Hopefully, I will resolve the ethernet issue.
=Don=