Brainstorming: What do we "need" template-wise?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Guys - I'm lost. What exactly is the current issue? Thought we had everything cleared up? No? Sorry about my confusion - have been buried with other things.
No need to be sorry, this is getting confusing. We're still after those two IE6 bugs:

1. Some of the sidebar headlines don't take their padding correctly. You suggested position: relative for this which didn't work in my IE6. I think it has something to do with the padding for .serendipitySideBarContent, but I haven't figured it out completely.

2. There's a gap between SideBarTitle and SideBarContent in the green colorset in IE6 which seems to have something to do with that headline issue.

That's it. I'll have a closer look at those tomorrow.

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi

it just occurred to me as I was finishing the purple colourset (take a look) that it would be really good to change the date format. Could we have a few options for changing how the date displays in the entries that can be set in the style options?

Also it might be useful if the navbar above the header could be styled differently to the navbar below the header.

Finally, any way we could incorporate changing the header image :-D

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Hey Dave,
d_cee wrote:Could we have a few options for changing how the date displays in the entries that can be set in the style options?
Uhm ... I guess. I'm not at home right now, so I can't test it, and this isn't something I'm doing every day, but I'll have a go at it tonight.
d_cee wrote:Also it might be useful if the navbar above the header could be styled differently to the navbar below the header.
Already possible :) Take a look at the output code in the sandbox:

Code: Select all

<div id="sitenav" class="snabove">
The class for the navbar below the header is .snbelow, if I remember correctly.
d_cee wrote:Finally, any way we could incorporate changing the header image :-D
Yeah, well, we're saving that for when everything else is fixed and we're bored :wink: I guess we might need some help from the coder guys on this, so it's probably best to fix anything else first.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I was just looking at YL's sandbox, and all the sidebar titles look fine in my IE6. What am I missing?

Does anyone have the green template "live" on a dev site, or should I just d/l it from a link Dave provided a while ago?
=Don=
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi YL
Uhm ... I guess. I'm not at home right now, so I can't test it, and this isn't something I'm doing every day, but I'll have a go at it tonight.
I'm sure you must have worked on this everyday since we started :-) I know I feel like I have!
Already possible :) Take a look at the output code in the sandbox:
Code:
<div id="sitenav" class="snabove">

The class for the navbar below the header is .snbelow, if I remember correctly.
Doh! Dunno how I missed it!
Yeah, well, we're saving that for when everything else is fixed and we're bored :Wink: I guess we might need some help from the coder guys on this, so it's probably best to fix anything else first.
Maybe we should start a new topic just for Garvin on this one as we're pretty close to finishing - aren't we?

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:I was just looking at YL's sandbox, and all the sidebar titles look fine in my IE6. What am I missing?
It wasn't in the sandbox, since the sandbox wasn't set to Dave's green colorset. This only happens in Dave's colorsets, as far as I remember in the green and the blue one. Haven't gotten a chance to look at the purple on in IE6 yet.

I have just now updated the latest bulletproof (sandbox + zip), which actually has Dave's colorsets (well, the green and the blue one at least) and set it to green.

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

d_cee wrote:I'm sure you must have worked on this everyday since we started :-)
To be honest, I don't think so. I found the time to help two people with templates during the bulletproof development :o Yesterday, I started to revamp the website for my band, which is sort of recovery since it's rather simple XHTML/CSS code :wink:
d_cee wrote:Maybe we should start a new topic just for Garvin on this one as we're pretty close to finishing - aren't we?
I'd rather first close down the last few bugs, finish the colorsets, then discuss what we'd like, and after that start a new thread. We don't want this to become a backfire for our code. Let's get our part done and then contact the higher gods of s9y :wink:

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

yellowled wrote: I found the time to help two people with templates during the bulletproof development :o
YL
Hey! That is NOT allowed! Focus on BP!!! LOL!

I do not know why position: relative does not work in the actual css, because it works fine in my IE development tool. Odd. Will look at it a little closer when I can.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:it works fine in my IE development tool.

Code: Select all

From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

Oxymoron \Ox`y*mo"ron\, n. [NL., fr. Gr. ???, fr. ??? pointedly
     foolish; 'oxy`s sharp + mwro`s foolish.] (Rhet.)
     A figure in which an epithet of a contrary signification is
     added to a word; e. g., cruel kindness; laborious idleness.
     [1913 Webster]
Or IE development tool ... :wink:

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

yellowled wrote:1. Some of the sidebar headlines don't take their padding correctly. You suggested position: relative for this which didn't work in my IE6. I think it has something to do with the padding for .serendipitySideBarContent, but I haven't figured it out completely.

2. There's a gap between SideBarTitle and SideBarContent in the green colorset in IE6 which seems to have something to do with that headline issue.
Okay, so apparently, these two are related. I think I have nailed it now. Don't ask me why and which IE bug this actually is, but apparently .serendipitySideBarContent mustn't have padding-top and -bottom in IE6. If that's combined with a higher negative margin-top, it looks, well, not perfect, but better. Please check out the updated sandbox and zipfile. I have added an extra stylesheet ie6.css and ie7.css to seperate the two browsers, and I think this might be it (finally!).

Haven't gotten to work at that date display option yet, since I thought I'd first upload this fix for you guys to double check it.

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

d_cee wrote:it just occurred to me as I was finishing the purple colourset (take a look) that it would be really good to change the date format. Could we have a few options for changing how the date displays in the entries that can be set in the style options?
Dave, what exactly do you want to be able to change here? I'm guessing we're talking about the date displayed in .serendipity_date, right? We could integrate this easily using a dropdown box in the theme options from which users can pick the desired date format. However, I'm gonna need some sort of list of date formats you want to see what you're aiming at :)

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi YL

at the moment the only date format is
Wednesday, April 18. 2007

It would be good to have

18-04-07
or for US users
04-18-07

short days would be useful too
Weds, April 18. 2007
Weds 18-04-07

and my favourite - the Andreas Viklund date format
Apr 18
and
Apr 18 '07

that would do it for me :-)

cheers

Dave
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I posted something on this thread that might be helpful regarding the time formats: http://board.s9y.org/viewtopic.php?t=9626. Just remember - this requires a BP language file change too.

Regarding the other stuff with the green colorset - not sure I like what is happening there. It is not fully solved, and why should a negative top margin even be required in the first place? I think we are pursuing a bandage rather than the underlying cause. Wish I had more to contribute on this thing, but for the next week or 2, I am really caught up in my boating event site.
=Don=
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi Guys
Don Chambers wrote:Regarding the other stuff with the green colorset - not sure I like what is happening there. It is not fully solved, and why should a negative top margin even be required in the first place?
Whilst making the coloursets, I've used negative margins quite often. I assumed this was because margins had been set in the other style sheets. Is there something I'm missing?

I had a look through all the code last night and noticed that there are a few classes/ids still to add to the colorsets which I'll sort out over the next few days - Oh, and the purple colourset is pretty much finished now but I've not seen it in IE6 or 7 yet.

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Regarding the other stuff with the green colorset - not sure I like what is happening there. It is not fully solved, and why should a negative top margin even be required in the first place?
It will never be fully solved - that's (as far as my knowledge goes) just what you have to deal with if you're doing webauthoring. A webpage, a blog will never look the same in any browser in any resolution on any platform if you're doing it using XHTML and CSS. The only way to reach that goal is Flash.
Don Chambers wrote:I think we are pursuing a bandage rather than the underlying cause.
Yeah, well, that's another nice translation for "standard compliant browsers would be nice, but we don't have 'em" :)

YL