Brainstorming: What do we "need" template-wise?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

d_cee wrote:that would do it for me :-)
Okay, I'm at it. I already have the code base for this, now I need some time to figure out the respective date format variables :)

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi YL
Okay, I'm at it.
Great, I figured if I answered InspecktorGadget's Andreas08 2 sidebar problem you'd have more time

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

d_cee wrote:
Okay, I'm at it.
Great, I figured if I answered InspecktorGadget's Andreas08 2 sidebar problem you'd have more time
Hrhr :) So I've just uploaded a new zipfile, but the sandbox will have to wait 'til tomorrow. I'm not at home right now, but guess where my list of ftp logins and passwords is? Yup, exactly.

So I think I have covered your list. I'm not sure whether my config.inc.php code is the smartest, but it does give us the possibility to have nice descriptions in various languages instead of cryptic strftime codes no user understands :wink: Plus, that way we can fiddle a little with the language-related date formats (i.e. Germans have DD-MM-YY while people from the US and UK prefer MM-DD-YY).

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi YL

I installed the latest zip late last night - and of course the date formats work a treat - and look great!

Purple colourset has moved on a bit more - and I've done a little 'serendipity-bulletproof' powered by button.

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Hey Dave,
d_cee wrote:I installed the latest zip late last night - and of course the date formats work a treat - and look great!
So no need to be more verbose on what the various date formats actually mean? I was tempted to use those strftime variables, but I figured that would only confuse users with no PHP knowledge ... however, "Standard (short)" isn't that verbose either ..?
d_cee wrote:Purple colourset has moved on a bit more - and I've done a little 'serendipity-bulletproof' powered by button.
Hm. I'm not sure Garvin would like that one to replace the default powered by button, but I like the idea of having a BP-button ... maybe it's suited better in the footer? We could replace the last two lines in the footer with a button and have the credits in the alt/title tag for that image ..?

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

A little update from me - guess I will work backwards on recent posts. Purple color set looked great last time I checked Dave. I have not seen the new date stuff yet, but I am sure there will be those that appreciate that functionality. I also question the s9y/BP button - might want to run that past the development team first. HOWEVER - correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the s9y logo currently in use a transparent png (corners transparent)? I took a version of this into Photoshop, and removed all the surrounding white space. Looks good, as long as we are not concerned with potential IE png issues.

Back to the green template - I finally tracked down 1/2 the problem on those sidebar titles. Now I just need to track down the other 1/2. I am still working from an older version that does not include YL's recent changes to padding. *IF* I find a thorough resolution, I'll let you guys know.
=Don=
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi Guys
YL wrote:I like the idea of having a BP-button ... maybe it's suited better in the footer? We could replace the last two lines in the footer with a button and have the credits in the alt/title tag for that image ..?
sounds like a good plan to me. I'll make a couple of Bulletproof buttons for comments and approval. Although I should say that I tend to make individual 'powered by' buttons for all my templates and I've never had any objections as they're template specific.

As for transparent .png files - I think there are still far too many IE6 users to introduce one just yet.

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Back to the green template - I finally tracked down 1/2 the problem on those sidebar titles. Now I just need to track down the other 1/2. I am still working from an older version that does not include YL's recent changes to padding. *IF* I find a thorough resolution, I'll let you guys know.
Bugs, beware! The bughunter's back! :lol: Any hint on what your solution might be so we could chime in on that?

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Hey guys,

one last remark before I'm out for the weekend.
d_cee wrote:As for transparent .png files - I think there are still far too many IE6 users to introduce one just yet.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are we not using transparency in some of the alternative feed icon pngs anyway? Or is that different since we're not using "real" transparency in those?

I'm still an amateur in Photoshop - can any of you recommend a good book or tutorial, which maybe concentrates on PS features useful for guys like us, something like "Photoshop for web designers"? I was looking at some books in a store the other day, but most of them just have large sections on digital photography ...

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

I think we have to name Abdussamad our hero. Seems like he pulled off what we were looking for - changing the header image using the media database.

http://abdussamad.com/archives/102-Beau ... rsion.html

I'm at it trying to figure out the code and how to maybe use it for BP. However, I won't get that done before tomorrow. I'll also email Abdussamad for some insider information ...

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi

I saw this earlier myself - well done abdussamad!

I hope it will fit in with BP

Dave
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

This is going to be a rough week for me to get anything done relative to s9y, but I will try to continue my bughunting on the green theme.

Regarding the Beautiful Day port, and it's use of header images, about the only thing that bothers me right from the start is "All these features require that you have javascript enabled." Not a deal killer, but it bothers me slightly.
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:Regarding the Beautiful Day port, and it's use of header images, about the only thing that bothers me right from the start is "All these features require that you have javascript enabled." Not a deal killer, but it bothers me slightly.
I haven't really looked at the code, but I think this is supposed to mean that you need JS enabled in order to use those features in the backend. I can't remember seeing something which needed JS for the output HTML or CSS. And I figure anybody using s9y >= 1.2 will have JS enabled anyway to be able to drag 'n' drop plugins etc. But I will check that when I contact Abdussamad.

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

OK Slackers! I'm almost back!!!! Have a few more things to wrap up in the next few days, then I will start to dial myself back into BP! Have a fairly busy schedule this month, but I feel the urge to get back into this nightmare!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sheesh - go away for a few days and you guys just fall asleep!!! :P :P
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:OK Slackers! I'm almost back!
I haven't exactly been slacking, but I'm still waiting to hear from Abdussamad (I emailed him for some insider info on his code). However, I'm starting to lose patience, and will therefore probably try to figure the code out on my own. Wish me luck.

I'll admit that the snooker world cup has sort of pulled my attention away from BP, but that'll be over on Monday :wink:

YL