Non-viewable "media"

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
joho
Regular

Non-viewable "media"

Post by joho »

From time to time, I find the need to make some sort of package, file, whatever downloadable from my site; how is this best handled?

I uploaded a .tar.gz file to the media library (nice thumbnail ;) ), and that worked out OK, but when I click to download it, I get the filename named .tar.tar instead of .tar.gz, and I suppose this confuse someone :-)

It'd be nice with some sort of non-blogged layout/template/whatever where one could have things like photos, downloads, and what not.

Now, it could of course be that I haven't gotten the hang of things yet and someone will immediately post the solution, if so - great!
At the end of a smile, there is a laugh and a 1/2 [DAD]
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Non-viewable "media"

Post by garvinhicking »

Okay, this basically can be done with plugins, some sort of "download area". Maybe someone is willing to put some work into that, it's not really hard; one could easily read out our media database and generate a file listing for all non-image types.

The rename of '.tar.tar' I can sometimes experience in my Mozilla, and it seems to auto-detect a wrong file type and/or passes a wrong one to my WinAce utility. But it's not a problem of serendipity, sadly...

Regards,
Garvin.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
joho
Regular

Post by joho »

What's weird is that the problem only occurs (for me) in the adminsection. If I post an entry, with an URL to the non-viewable media, the download looks just swell :)

Hmm.. yes, I suppose that wouldn't be so tough..

Hmm.. is there a way to configure S9Y to hide entries that are members of a certain category? That would be one way to provide descriptions for "downloads"? I.e. post an entry, tag it as a "Download".. and then it would not appear in the general blog (if the filter has been activated). The "downloads plug-in" would then only display entries from/with that category.

Just listing files of a given type from the media library would be (IMHO) too limiting..
At the end of a smile, there is a laugh and a 1/2 [DAD]
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hm, so could you look into your database, serendipity_images and see how the nun-viewable media is inserted there, and whiche file extension it says there? Maybe it is a problem because of the double file extension '.tar.zip' - maybe using '.tgz' should work?

About hiding certain categories: This is currently not possible, but in our 0.8 development branch we use smarty. You can there easily add some if-clauses to force certain categories not to display.

However, in that development branch it's even easier to develop a custom plugin. You can use the "entryproperties" plugin and add a property like "download entry". When publishing an entry you can fetch all entries which have that attribute and just display their content in a surrounding HTML page which is better suitable for your layout. You could also display each entry's content within a list item, so that it looks more like a download area.

I know this is not so very easy to achieve, but I don't know any other blogging-centric application which would make it easier. If that feature is important to you, you may want to look more into thte direction of a portal application like phpNuke or Drupal, which (I suppose) have integrated download areas.

But if you'd instead like to contribute such a plugin, I am most sure others could also use it! :-)

Regards,
Garvin.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/