Link collection

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
joho
Regular

Link collection

Post by joho »

Any useful hints as to how I'd go about creating a "links" database of sorts are welcome. It feels like a whee bit overkill to use one blog "page" (blog item really I guess) per link; although that's the only way I've been able to figure out that'll also give me usage of categories.
At the end of a smile, there is a laugh and a 1/2 [DAD]
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

I'm going to do something about like this in 0.8--you're talking about how people have a daily links (or similar) sidebar item, such as annevankesteren.nl or katieweb.com, right? I think what they did is actually install another copy of their blog software (they both use WP, IIRC) and the sidebar works off an RSS feed. Until I write the code, you could always do that. It wouldn't really be overkill since the links wouldn't be displayed as individual entries...
joho
Regular

Post by joho »

I'm talking about that also. But one of my concerns is to have something like a sidebar block that says "Link"; which, when the title is clicked will bring me to a non-blog place on my site, or at least a place where each entry doesn't take up so much vertical space.

If the sidebar block also includes things like the five most popular, and/or the five most recently added entries, that's fine. But I have the need of some sort of links collection/links database; and posting these as separate Blog entries really eats up the vertical space available on the page.
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

How about using Romulus' static page plugin with an HTML nugget?
joho
Regular

Post by joho »

Aye.. but then the interface to collect, categorize and organize the links.
I know I'm probably asking too much.. but it'd be nice to have a piece of software that is _mainly_ a blog, but _also_ some other things commonly found on a website, such as links, biographies, photos..

As it is now, I'll have to fiddle with more than one package to get a nice gallery and then link to the gallery from my blog postings, etc.

PHP programming is not a problem at all, but why re-invent the wheel ? :-)