Problems Displaying Pages

Having trouble installing serendipity?
OperatorOne

Problems Displaying Pages

Post by OperatorOne »

I looked around but didnt find anything related to this specific issue I am having.... so here goes.

I have installed Apache2, MySQL5, PHP5 and Serendipity 1.0 Beta. Everything works well, as long as I view the pages from the localhost (the server where it's all installed).

If I hit the pages from a remote machine, I get all of the info, text and etc, but none of the graphics or formatting. It looks like I hit the page with a text only browser or something.

I am almost positive it's a permissions issue, and I have checked all of my config files, but cannot locate anything that stands out.

comments would be useful, anything to fix this would be awesome.

thanks - Op1
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Most likely it is a paths problem. Serendipity needs all paths to be properly configured on the configuration screen within the admin suite because you path to your chosen template is held in the database. So probably it is trying to find the templates at localhost, but when you view this remotely you need to specify a permanent address such the IP or URL of your server. Hope that helps,

Carl
blantonmotorsports
Regular

Post by blantonmotorsports »

how do you change the paths, if you cant get to an admin screen?
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

One can always access thea dmin panel via "serendipity_admin.php". There you can login, go to the configuration screen and change the configuration for paths. Usually if your page looks "empty" it means you've enabled URL Rewriting but it does not work on your host.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/