A question about hosting someone else's blog

Having trouble installing serendipity?
SeekSolace

A question about hosting someone else's blog

Post by SeekSolace »

Okay, so I read the "shared installation" topic in the documentation, and unfortunately, much as I thought I was going to be good at this, it looks a bit too advanced for me. My friend wanted a blog, so I set up a folder, pointed a subdirectory at that folder and put another installation of Serendipity in there. It's probably a good thing that I haven't opened up the file for installation, because I'm pretty sure it would override my database information, and THAT we don't want. *chuckle* So...how do I do this the right way? I'm hosted through a server that I have no control over, so I'm not sure if that affects the "setting up subdomains" thing. I just set it up through my control panel at the host. Any ideas?
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

Okay first back up your database.

Moving on, I have a second blog set up for development on my server, and the only thing is make sure you change your database prefix. It defaults to 'serendipity_'--my second blog is 's9y_'. If you do that, the two installations should keep to themselves. If you don't trust your friend not to screw this up (by changing the db prefix, or something equally stupid) don't give them administrator access to the blog.
SeekSolace

Sweet!

Post by SeekSolace »

I think it worked! My database backup is on my desktop just in case, but it appears that that did the trick! Thanks so much!