wishlist (so far ;-)

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
Nicola
Regular

wishlist (so far ;-)

Post by Nicola »

Hi!

This is my whishlist (so far):
When installing S9y on my server I had a lot of trouble with wrong permissions on directories and/or files. I'd love to have a list, which dirs/files need which permissions, as I am a bit stupid on these things.

Second: My love deleted some pics from the Mediendatenbank - not knowing, they were already used in some entries. So I'd love to have a counter or something in the Mediendatenbank (what is the english word for this thign?), that tells how often a pic is already 'used' in entries...
Or at least, can you give a warning when trying to delete a image that is used?

Greetings

Nicola
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: wishlist (so far ;-)

Post by garvinhicking »

Well, it's quite easy: All files need to be readable for the webserver. That should be pretty clear.

All the directories that NEED to be writable are mentioned by the installer: That being uploads/, archives/ and the base directory. The "plugins" directory only needs to be writable if you want to use Spartacus.

About the media counter, you are right that this is a problem. WE currently do not store a reference to the images in the media database, but there once was a plugin which did. There you could've easily injected a counter, but that plugin got lost and I wasn't motivated enough to recode it again. It is a good item for a Feature, maybe you can add it to our RFE tracker on www.sf.net/projects/php-blog

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Nicola
Regular

Post by Nicola »

Nicola wrote:(so far):
Using it means having more ideas and wishes ;-)

I wish:
  • A '<cite>'-Buttton in the editor - yes I know, I could set the text italic. But that is not the same, is it? I want to mark it 'logically' as a citation. Furthermore I'd love to add special styles for quotations into the css...
  • An <abbr>-Button in the editor. This would be one that opens a mini form where I could type in the title for the Abbr. We use so many Abbr. and all the time I'm tyoing into the HTML-source - that sucks. Anyway, if one want's to stick to the basic accessibility rules...
Enough for today ;-))

Nicola
Nicola
Regular

Post by Nicola »

garvinhicking wrote:It is a good item for a Feature, maybe you can add it to our RFE tracker on www.sf.net/projects/php-blog
[x] done (though I don't know if done right ;-))

Nicola
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

About the RFE, I once filed it after yoru posting here, so I just had to close yours down because of being a duplicate. Hope you don't mind! :)

About the cite/abbr buttons: They are quite easy to add; a plugin like serendipity_event_emoticonchooser adds already emoticons to the toolset bar, and it could be modified to insert a cite/abbr button. Maybe you would like to try it out, it's not that hard? :) Or are you using the WYSIWYG editor? In that case it's harder to add buttons as I have not yet understood the WYSIWYG API perfectly well...

BTW, you can already style the <cite> things via CSS. Look at the serendipity_event_quotelayout (or something like that...) plugin which styles quotations pretty nifty with a background image :)

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
Nicola
Regular

Post by Nicola »

garvinhicking wrote:Or are you using the WYSIWYG editor? In that case it's harder to add buttons as I have not yet understood the WYSIWYG API perfectly well...
I suppose, I do - it looks like those browser-driven editors ;-) Will have to have a closer look at the other one... ;-)
garvinhicking wrote:BTW, you can already style the <cite> things via CSS. Look at the serendipity_event_quotelayout (or something like that...) plugin which styles quotations pretty nifty with a background image :)
I do that styling in HTML source at the moment - didn't need too much styling on the quotations, though there are _some_, that I style in a special way:
http://www.shopanbieter.de/news/archive ... logie.html

Is there a simple way to add my own styles into the paragraph-style-pulldown-button?

Oh, never mind, It will take about another month and I will have a look into adding that editor buttons, I guess ;-)

Nicola

/away now, going to get my little one from the daycare...