Typepad Antispam as Akismet alternative

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
el*Loco
Regular

Typepad Antispam as Akismet alternative

Post by el*Loco »

Has anyone tried Typepad Antispam as alternative to akismet? Since the askismet API is used, implementing it in the spamblock plugin might me simple.
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Your wish is my command!

I added the capability to choose either an Akismet or TypePad Antispam server to the Serendipity Spamblock plugin. Since it's a core plugin, it's not upgradeable through SPARTACUS; it's contained in the nightly builds. Since I made the change last Sunday, it should be in the builds for Monday.

You can either upgrade your entire installation, or just extract the plugins/serendipity_event_spamblock/ directory and upload just the plugin files.

It should detect if you've already got an Akismet key installed; otherwise, it defaults to the TPAS server. If you have any problems, check your Spamblock configuration and let me know.
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
el*Loco
Regular

Post by el*Loco »

judebert wrote:Your wish is my command!
You rock!
Muchas gracias - will do some testing on Sunday.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

What exactly is better about this one than Akismet?

I would personally love to see 2 things:

1) the ability to report BACK to their service, which is something I do not think we can do from s9y antispam to akismet, and

2) a mention of s9y on their site... they mention Moveable Type, TypePad and Wordpress... its time to start getting Serendipity mentioned in some of these services!!! :wink:
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

TypePad considers it better than Akismet because the server is Open-Source.

The Akismet protocol, implemented by both the original Akismet server and the TPAS server, allows users to report back. Our plugin doesn't, though. I'll consider that for a later update.

The current update simply allows you to obtain a TPAS key instead of an Akismet key and use the TPAS server instead of the Akismet server. (You don't need to get a blog to get the TPAS key.)

I don't think s9y will ever get a mention unless someone implements the report-back feature. That means a spam log in the database. That's more than I'm ready to tackle right now (and besides, I want to get the custom buttons done first).
Judebert
---
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I've seen what happens to the antispam database when logging is enabled... WOW! It gets huge.... unless, of course, there was an option to only log what was being reported back.

I wonder if they have anywhere near as good a database for known spammers as akismet...

Anyway, I'll add to my mental checklist to try this out... sounds like a definite plus if you do not need to create an account with them first, as is necessary on wordpress.com for an akismet key.
=Don=
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Well, you still need an account, but you don't need to create a new blog.

Some users have been saying that it's actually better than Akismet.
Judebert
---