nofollow on categories and entriesHi, can this be done?

Creating and modifying plugins.
carl_galloway
Regular

nofollow on categories and entriesHi, can this be done?

Post by carl_galloway »

Hi,

I want to be able to select which categories and entries should use the rel="nofollow" tag from the sidebar category list or overview page for entries.

Let me explain, at the moment, all categories and entries are followed by default when the googlebot visits my site. What I want to do is put a nofollow into the category link for personal entries, and I also want to put the nofollow into selected entries if they a cr@ppy personal entries rather than meaty keyword rich articles.

So, can we have a radio box added in the admin screen for categories to add the nofollow for the category. This would mean that anytime the category is linked to, either in the sidebar, or in the entry footer, the rel="nofollow" would be added.

Can the same thing be added when creating or editing an entry so that when the entry is displayed in an overview page or the search results we can also specify the rel="nofollow" attribute?

Thanks,
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: nofollow on categories and entriesHi, can this be done?

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

For entries you can solve that with custom entry properties and a customized entries.tpl template.

For categories, you could patch the "extended properties for categories"plugin and add a new option for that.

I'm not a friend of nofollow, so I can't offer actual helpon patching the plugin.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Cool, I'll try them both out. I'm not a big fan of nofollow either but when doing SEO it is sometimes necessary. One of my sites makes really good money for its major keyword phrases but some of the pages aren't directly related and they drag the PR down, so I need this. Once I get it working I'll write a tutorial for other users.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Garvin,

I got the custom properties for entries working perfectly, but I can't find the extended properties for categories plugin. MAybe I'm being stupid and its right in front of me but I just can't find it. Help?
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Carl - I think it is serendipity_event_entryproperties.

EDIT - nuts... I think you want the one for categories, not entries. Sorry.
=Don=
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

yeah, sorry Don, definitely the categories one I want. Getting the entries plugin to do what I wanted took 30seconds, but the categories, sheesh I wish I had half of Garvin's brains...
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

That's the serendipity_event_categorytemplates plugin I meant. But beware, this plugin does not support custom "category templates", like the "entryproperties" plugin does. This plugin definitely needs PHP code altering to do what is required for no-follow.

Well, of course you could "abuse" the "category description". Enter "nofollow" there (or whatever else you will later check) and then you can check for it thorugh $category.category_description in entries.tpl loops and/or in the plugin_categories.tpl template file.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Ooh Garvin, that's the second time this week you've mentioned abusing some aspect of Serendipity, are you turning to the dark side and becoming a hacker???
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Haven't tried it in the sidebar yet, but in the entry it works a charm, except that it's $entry_category.category_description

Thanks Garv.
moenk
Regular

Post by moenk »

I'd appreciate an option for nofollow on the feeds - these cause duplicate content from my point of view and the blog would rank better not to produce such. Maybe it's a good alternative to code an noindex.nofollow in the rss-feed. But I don't want to do this after every update ;-)
CMS mit S9Y: MCSE - LPIC - SQL - GIS
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

Mmmm, this is precisely why I've removed the feed icons for categories and tags. They may be useful for some readers, but my experience is the same as yours, duplicate content. Care to email and share SEO experiences?

My email is carlgalloway [at] gmail [dot] com
moenk
Regular

Post by moenk »

You've got mail ;-)
The feeds are useful, no doubt. But they should be rel-follow to avoid DC. An option in the configuration will fit for different confessions.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

rel="follow" or rel="nofollow" ?
moenk
Regular

Post by moenk »

Nofollow of course, sorry. I understand that this option divides webmasters, it is not even sure that it works, but in this case I am convinced that it should be implemented.
carl_galloway
Regular

Post by carl_galloway »

I'm convinced that it does work which is why I'm so keen to make use of it. The Serendipity engine is in my humble opinion the best blog package available, and the way mod rewrite works with s9y entries is pure genius. I'd really like to see more SEO functions built directly into Serendipity rather than have to keep hacking bits.

So, shall we start a new Serendipity group for members who either make money online, or use Serendipity for their business, or who are interested in SEO. We can either get a new forum here, or I could upload some forum software to the back of the s9y-users directory. What say everyone?