Custom layout

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
~J~

Custom layout

Post by ~J~ »

Ooooo, now where do I start?

Firstly, many thanks to the developers at s9y.org for what appears to be the easiest blog I've come across - seems an absolute doddle to use, everything what I want and nothing I don't so can't say any better than that.

Now, my problem...

I'm currently in the middle of a redesign of my site, and shall by using s9y as the blog. At the moment I currently use cuteNews which has served me for nearly a year now, there's been no problems but I need something with more flexibility and and RSS Feed.

My new design at the moment has a table that contains two cells, the left most will contain my blog, the right, a right-hand-side-bar that will contain the calendar, search, feed buttons etc.

I also have several categories for my blog, each category has a specific page on my site too. So for example, the whole of my blog is called "News", and one category is called "Games" which is under the news section. When I want to go to "Games" I only want to show articles relating to the "Games" category.

Now I understand s9y can do this, but does anyone have any tutorials or know of any links regarding this. No disrespect to the development team, but the advanced editing help is somewhat limited.

I know in cutenews I can have a...

Code: Select all

<?PHP
		$number = "1";
		$category = "3";
include("news/show_news.php");
?>
section which literally shows the news from category number 3, but I can't see if this is an option in s9y or not.

I don't have strong PHP skills, but I am a quick learner, and I'd just like to know if there's a help file that says...

"If you want to put bits of your blog on different pages then firstly you need a ?????? a the top of your page, then where you want your blog to go, type ????????, if you want the calendar to appear then type ???????, and the feeds then you type ????????"

Etc.

Anyone know of such a tutorial?

TIA
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

It's easier than all that--the functionality is already built in. For example, my "code" category would be http://coeusgroup.com/en/categories/8-Code

That URI gives all the entries in my code category, including subcategories. The hardest part is figuring out the category ID (8, in the above example), but that's easy enough to do with a simple test entry.