installing in /

Having trouble installing serendipity?
45miles

installing in /

Post by 45miles »

Hi there,
i'm just trying to install the software not in a subfolder because i want my blog to be reached at www.domain.tld But the Installation won't work, it always says
"Keine Schreibrechte für Verzeichnis /www/htdocs/subano/. Bitte korrigieren". Means in english: "Can't write in /www/htdocs/subano". Well thsi is at least the root-directory of the (sub-)domain i want to install to. I only have a FTP-accout on this Server. so how can i change the properties for the topmost directory in FTP ??

Greets
Rainer :(
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

I don't know what ftp client you are using, but the current direcoty should also appear as . (a single dot) in a list of files in the directory.
45miles

Post by 45miles »

gaaahh, you're right.
i use FlashFXP or Filzilla here. In both i didn't find this "." There is only a lin to the upper directory which is unabled since it's the root-directory.

now i went back to ws-ftp (normally a crap) and there one can chmod the current directory.

Thanks a lot

Rainer :D
Thomas
Regular

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

this depends on your hoster. Mostly the provider gives you only a chdir() directory in the document root of your package (absolute dir for example /www/users/domain/, under HTTP '/' for your domain). Means that you're locked in that directory and do not have access to step up one dir.

In most cases the provider runs the server under a not privileged user like wwwrun but the directories and files you transfer are owned by your FTP user. Which is in fact a problem when you want to install s9y in the '/' directory of your domain.

Possible solutions for this situation:
  • Ask your provider to change the permissions of /www/users/yourdomain/ to 777 that scripts ran through the webserver may write also files to that dir
  • create a subdirectory where you transfer the blog software to, give it 777 permissions and forward the user with an index.html from '/' to '/blog' for example (easiest and fastest solution)
I hope this helps you a bit.

Regards, Thomas