Sticky posts

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
joho
Regular

Sticky posts

Post by joho »

First off, thanks for some really nice software. It took all of 25 seconds to configure I think, and it did the job on the first run, very nice indeed!

Quick question.. how would I go about creating a sticky post, e.g. an announcement-type post? Or for that matter, maybe a category that would get special treatment?
At the end of a smile, there is a laugh and a 1/2 [DAD]
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Sticky posts

Post by garvinhicking »

Sticky Posts are currently only supported in our 0.8 snapshot branch, which is under development.

You can however work around that by editing the 'layout.php' file of your template directory (templates/default/layout.php, or another direcotry) by hand and inserting stuff there.

But you could also, of course, add its own category and let users select this. Or you can create a sidebar HTML nugget, which is maybe better layout-wise...

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
joho
Regular

Post by joho »

OK.

Speaking of nuggets.. is it possible to "include" the contents of an item (such as the "announcement" I want to make sticky), and just one item, in a nugget?

I guess if I want to make a "block" with a given category in it, I'd RSS feed from myself, or?

Come to think of it.. I guess RSS-feeding from myself and setting number of items to 1 would give me the last "headline" from that category?
At the end of a smile, there is a laugh and a 1/2 [DAD]
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

Speaking of nuggets.. is it possible to "include" the contents of an item (such as the "announcement" I want to make sticky), and just one item, in a nugget?
I'd suggest try writing a plugin for that. It's really easy even if you don't know PHP and SQL. (As long as you can program). It's very simple to fetch an entry via a SQL command and then display it using PHP.
tadpole
Regular

Post by tadpole »

Even easier to use serendipity_fetchEntries(). :)
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

Even easier to use serendipity_fetchEntries(). :)
Didn't even know that exists! Doesn't that confirm you don't need to really know the s9y code base to write plugins :p