Can't get very far...

Having trouble installing serendipity?

Can't get very far...

Post by Guest »

Hi.

I have followed the installation instructions, and all the files are in my root directory. But when I try to go to http://www.jetgirl.net/serendipity, I get a 404 error.

I am frustrated with the limited capabilities of Blogger, and so decided to try this instead. But I admit I really don't know what I'm doing.... :roll: Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jetgirl

Post by Jetgirl »

Ok, I solved that. It was just a matter of me being exhausted and putting everything in the wrong place. :oops:

But now I am getting this:
To check your local webserver installation, serendipity needs to be able to write the file ".htaccess". This was not possible because of permission errors. Please adjust the permissions like this:
chmod go+rwx /home/.ebanwasher/jetgirl/jetgirl.net/aitd/
and reload this page.

I am not sure what file to change the permissions on. I tried changing the permissions of the aitd folder to 777, but this doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks!
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

chmod go+rwx /home/.ebanwasher/jetgirl/jetgirl.net/aitd/
means changing the permission of the directory aitd.

To write to .htaccess , you would also need to do chmod 666 .htaccess. If the file doesn't exist, then don't worry about it. I think serendipity will create it for you.
Jetgirl

Post by Jetgirl »

Thanks for the clarification...

But now I changed the permissions of the aitd directory to 777, and am still getting the error.

Is there something else I need to do?

Thank you!!
Baricom

Post by Baricom »

You need to set the same permissions for .htaccess.

Try this from a shell:
chmod go+rwx /home/.ebanwasher/jetgirl/jetgirl.net/aitd/.htaccess

After the installation process finishes, you'll probably want to set it back, for security reasons:
chmod 755 /home/.ebanwasher/jetgirl/jetgirl.net/aitd/.htaccess

Hope this helps.
Jetgirl

Post by Jetgirl »

Thanks...

I don't have shell access to the server. I am using cute ftp to change the permissions.

I also don't seem to have the .htaccess file in my directory.

On a lark, I changed the permissions of everything in my aitd directory to 777. This didn't help.
:wink:

Someone said earlier that .htaccess is supposed to be generated by the installation? So what do I do if it won't install and therefore not generate the file?

Thank you!
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

I just checked my installation, and the .htaccess is owned by me, which means I must have added it myself. Do you have shell access to the server? If not, create an emty file called .htaccess, and ftp it over to $(S9Y_ROOT). The permission only has to be 666, not 777 (as it's to be written over, not executed, but i might be wrong), but 777 won't hurt. After installation, change it back to 644 (or 755 if you like).
Jetgirl

Post by Jetgirl »

I do not have shell access. I am doing everything with ftp.

Here's where I show my utter ignorance....

by "create an emty file called .htaccess" do you mean an empty text file? Does it matter as long as there is something call .htaccess to be re-written over? So, for example, could I create a text file and then delete the extension? (I am working on Windows). Would that work?

Secondly, by "ftp it over to $(S9Y_ROOT)" do you mean to put it in my root directory? Or in my aitd directory (which is what I am calling my serendipity directory) or something else entirely?

Sorry, I am a super-newbie here. But Serendipity looks really terriffic and I really do want to give it a shot.

Thanks!
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

By "create an emty file called .htaccess" do you mean an empty text file? Does it matter as long as there is something call .htaccess to be re-written over? So, for example, could I create a text file and then delete the extension? (I am working on Windows). Would that work?
yes
by "ftp it over to $(S9Y_ROOT)" do you mean to put it in my root directory? Or in my aitd directory (which is what I am calling my serendipity directory) or something else entirely?
the aitd, coz that's the root of your s9y installation.