Update procedure; manual patches

Having trouble installing serendipity?
elwood_j_blues
Regular

Update procedure; manual patches

Post by elwood_j_blues »

Hi there,

in my s9y installation, I made several changes (Wiki notation starting from a specific blog entry, but also some environment variable issues due to a manual installation of ImageMagick in my web server account).

When upgrading to a newer version (what is needed quite often due to s9y's developmental status ;) ), all of my changes (including the template!) is killed anytime and I'm forced to patch it all in again. :?

Some changes can't be made automagically, sure. But is there any safe place where to put changes? How can I have my template preserved? Or, can I mark some files as "to be updated manually"?

I use the shell script provided with s9y for upgrading. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong? How do you update conveniently with as few patching as possible afterwards?
No matter how long or how hard you shop for an item - after you bought it, it will be on sale somewhere cheaper ;)
Little Hamster
Regular

Post by Little Hamster »

I have a copy of my changes in my own machine :D I only have ftp access to my host. After I ftp the new version of s9y over, I then ftp my changes. I usually do a diff first to see if there are major changes between the versions tho, just to be on the safe side. As for the templates, I found that the upgrade leaves it alone, as long as your own template aren't named the same as the ones that come with s9y.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Little Hamster is right - if you created individual templates, those will not be touched.

And our developers usually commit what they have done to CVS - if your patches are handy, I guess we could patch them in as well. Please contribute :-)

Apart from that, if you have shell access, you can always use CVS to update your files, and it will leave your changes intact...

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
elwood_j_blues
Regular

Post by elwood_j_blues »

garvinhicking wrote:if your patches are handy, I guess we could patch them in as well. Please contribute :-)
okay :)
Apart from that, if you have shell access, you can always use CVS to update your files, and it will leave your changes intact...
Thanks guys, I'll try that!
No matter how long or how hard you shop for an item - after you bought it, it will be on sale somewhere cheaper ;)
jhermanns
Site Admin

Post by jhermanns »

garvinhicking wrote:and it will leave your changes intact...
at least mostly :wink:
elwood_j_blues
Regular

Post by elwood_j_blues »

jhermanns wrote:
garvinhicking wrote:and it will leave your changes intact...
at least mostly :wink:
http://blog.magenson.de/
by now, it works flawlessly (just showing the wrong "installed version" in the config area, but apart from that it's fine :) )