Brainstorming: What do we "need" template-wise?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi judebert!

(great work! :) )
Garvin, is there any way to search in the plugin directories, like getTemplateFile, but getPluginFile? Could I use __FILE__ or something?
I'm not sure, what kind of file are you explicitly searching for? A file inside a plugin directory that you want to emit via HTTP?

That's hard. :-)

Reason for this is that plugin directories can be linked and be in any kind of plugin 'substructure'. Most plugins that emit stuff via HTTP configure a "HTTP path to plugin directory" witha reasonable default setting inside the plugin file and use that path.

The other (freakier) way would be to use the 'external_plugin' event, pass it a variable and use fpassthru() to output file contents virtually.

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:Okay, I've got v0.1 ready for use. I tested it on my own blog to make sure I wasn't just handing you a dud.
Works like a charm, giving me even more work for next week :wink: I won't get much done before Sunday night or Monday morning, but you guys already expect than from me, right? I'll work this out for BP first thing next week, but it looks like it's perfect. Great job, Jude!
judebert wrote:Included in the same directory is an "index.tpl" derived from Carl Galloway and YellowLed's "One True Layout". (Sorry, guys. I don't have anything against you, but that's the theme I use for my blog, so that's the one I butchered for testing.)
That's okay as long as you promise to switch to BP once it's released :wink: Personally, I wouldn't recommend using OTL, it's got some flaws we never worked out.

Here's a German translation for the lang files as a small treat:

Code: Select all

@define("PLUGIN_ADVTYPES_TITLE", "Erweiterte Kofigurations-Typen");
@define("PLUGIN_ADVTYPES_DESC", "Stellt den Javascript-Output der letzten Einträge zur Einbindung in andere, externe Seiten bereit (Details im README im Plugin-Verzeichnis!)");
This translation might be a little bit clumsy since I don't know what I'm translating here, so maybe Garvin could check this first.

YL
judebert
Regular

Post by judebert »

Thanks, guys! I'm glad it's working.
garvinhicking wrote:
Garvin, is there any way to search in the plugin directories, like getTemplateFile, but getPluginFile? Could I use __FILE__ or something?
I'm not sure, what kind of file are you explicitly searching for? A file inside a plugin directory that you want to emit via HTTP?
Yes, pretty much. Specifically, I was trying to add a JavaScript include in the <head>, but it couldn't find my file. No matter; I just added it between <script> tags, and it worked. The plugin works more cleanly that way anyhow.
YellowLed wrote:Here's a German translation for the lang files as a small treat:
Thanks, I'll work on getting it added! That's supposed to be the title and description for SPARTACUS, I believe.
YellowLed wrote:That's okay as long as you promise to switch to BP once it's released Wink Personally, I wouldn't recommend using OTL, it's got some flaws we never worked out.
Uh, what? I was really happy with the tab bar. :( What are the known problems?
Judebert
---
Website | Wishlist | PayPal
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

judebert wrote:
YellowLed wrote:Personally, I wouldn't recommend using OTL, it's got some flaws we never worked out.
Uh, what? I was really happy with the tab bar. :( What are the known problems?
See, this was a looong time ago. I seem to remember some problems with the floated columns, especially if you use graphics to fake equal heights for them, but I don't remember it exactly. Carl would probably remember, but he's M.I.A., so I can't really tell.

I can, however, state that this (bulletproof) is definitely about to become what Carl and I had in mind with OTL :) I also really love the fact that so many people have chimed in on this, helping out with ideas and code contributions.

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

yellowled wrote:I'll work this out for BP first thing next week, but it looks like it's perfect. Great job, Jude!
Now thiiis is what I'm talking about ... I just now uploaded an updated zipfile and updated the sandbox, almost forgot to install Jude's new plugin there, but now it should be working, and it's working perfectly!

Oh, Jude, before I forget about that - any chance to limit the size of the preview of the selected image? Because if I select a rather wide image, this gives me horizontal scroll bars in the browser, which I think is not very nice in terms of usability ...

Now users can choose:
a) whether to use a custom header
b) which image from the media database to use for this
c) the way this image should be tiled
d) horizontal and vertical alignment of this image

I think this should cover any needs, right? So check it out and let's hear what you guys think.

Dave, do I already have your final versions of the colorsets? Don, how about that last bug you wanted to squeeze? 'cause, behold! I don't think there's anything left to do :)

YL
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

yellowled wrote:Don, how about that last bug you wanted to squeeze? 'cause, behold! I don't think there's anything left to do :)

YL
Have not squeezed it yet. While I am doing my best to stay on top of this latest contribution from Judebert, I have not been able to find a block of time to finish what I was hunting. Working on a projet for my kid's pre-school that is due in a week. Have my son's b-day the following week, followed by my wife's 40th b-day the week after that! I'm buried!!!
=Don=
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi

I'll download the latest version later and check out the excellent work jude's done with you YL.

And no, you've not got the latest coloursets YL, I'll tidy them up tonight and mail them later.

And Don, no worries. I'll change the green colourset code for now so that we can put of looking for this little IE bugger until you've more time. :-)

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Guys, actually there's no need to hurry. s9y v1.2 is not due for some time as far as I remember - I think that should be our ultimate deadline. So, everybody, take your time. I just wanted to get the custom header out of the way 'cause I've got some other stuff to do :)

Also, I have always experience that templates are like wine - they get better when they take some time to develop :wink:

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi YL

I won't rush then as I'm really busy just now - and maybe I'll do a bit more before I send you the coloursets :-)

As I recall the 'template_author' variable was one of the few outstanding items. Do we know if it will be available in v1.2?

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

d_cee wrote:I won't rush then as I'm really busy just now - and maybe I'll do a bit more before I send you the coloursets :-)
See, that's just what I meant - if you actually have time to develop a template, you get to think about it, you take your time to do things right, and you often find more things to make it even better :)
d_cee wrote:As I recall the 'template_author' variable was one of the few outstanding items. Do we know if it will be available in v1.2?
I have no idea, gotta ask Garvin about that. I remember we were thinking about moving that bulletproof button to the footer, which unfortunately gives you as our "Mr. Photoshop" even more work ...

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi YL

of course you're right - more time makes better work! I'm just not used to having time, I'm more used to impossible deadlines :-)

I'd forgotten about the button so what do you think of this one?

cheers

Dave
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Hey Dave,
d_cee wrote:I'd forgotten about the button so what do you think of this one?

Hm. I like the general concept of it, but I'm not sure how it's going to fit with the different colorsets ... maybe we should have something with a transparent background?

YL
d_cee
Regular

Post by d_cee »

Hi YL

you might be right - I already had the metal one from my original 'steel' colourset that I scrapped. Ill take another look later :-)

Dave
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

My brain hurts!!! All this stuff does not even compare to what my kid's preschool has me doing right now!!! :)

Dave - the logo looks great. I love metalic designs, which should be obvious to anyone who has seen my primary s9y boating site. Not entirely sure about the inclusion of "template" in the graphic, but I really do not have anything better to suggest right now. No matter how cool it looks, I also have to question how many users would actually leave that in tact, or would look to eliminate not only that logo, but all the BP author and contributor names..... which, by the way, would not bother ME at all.

Not sure about the transparent concept there YL - That would either be GIF, or PNG. PNG is unstable in the IE world, and GIF looks like crap.

OK - I have used up my few minutes of energy for 2nite, so I will let those of you with more brain power than I keep making progress while I sit on the sidelines and post irrelevant commentary!!! :lol: :lol:
=Don=
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:No matter how cool it looks, I also have to question how many users would actually leave that in tact, or would look to eliminate not only that logo, but all the BP author and contributor names...
You have to question that part with any part of the template, which is why this actually isn't bulletproof at all :twisted: I don't mind if it's left in new custom templates based on BP (although I would think courtesy would forbid that), so maybe it's enough if the button fits the basic colorsets.
Don Chambers wrote:Not sure about the transparent concept there YL - That would either be GIF, or PNG. PNG is unstable in the IE world, and GIF looks like crap.
Transparent PNGs are fine with IE7 as far as I know. And, frankly, we cannot limit our great template because half of the IE users are lazy updaters :P

YL