Certain themes not working as expected with 2.0.0-beta3

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
ILF
Regular

Certain themes not working as expected with 2.0.0-beta3

Post by ILF »

Hi,

I'm not really sure this is the proper place to post my problem to, because first of all, I'm not really sure there is a problem, or I misconfigured something or there is just general incompatibility with 2.0 at this point, that I somehow missed.

I installed 2.0.0-beta3 (btw I love the new admin interface), and then installed the Sagittarius-A theme. I set up some generic entries and tried the "Newspaper" mode, however nothing is working as expected. (You can check out the result at evilpuppy.us). I'm trying to setup a small site for my company with about, contacts, etc. sections and Sagittarius-A seemed as a proper option for such a thing, however the Newspaper mode doesn't work. Then I tried mimbo theme, and that doesn't work as expected, either.

Is there some caveat with those particular themes with 2.0 or is it some misconfiguration on my end? I have to say that I'm using pretty non-standart setup for s9y - nginx/php-fpm on fedora 20 with postgresql as DB backend. I'm running the same setup with my personal blog, albeit with s9y 1.7 and bulletproof. I checked the nginx error log and php-fpm error log (I didn't delve too much into it, though), but nothing seems to be popping out as an outright error.

Any pointers would be welcome (besides 'move back to 1.7', as I really, really love the new backend :) )
Timbalu
Regular

Re: Certain themes not working as expected with 2.0.0-beta3

Post by Timbalu »

You are linking

Code: Select all

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="xxnav.css" media="screen" />

<html>
<head><title>404 Not Found</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>404 Not Found</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx</center>
</body>
</html>
maybe that is why...

or maybe while using the xmlrpc, which recently was bugfixed...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<methodResponse>
<fault>
  <value>
    <struct>
      <member>
        <name>faultCode</name>
        <value><int>105</int></value>
      </member>
      <member>
        <name>faultString</name>
        <value><string>XML error: Invalid document end at line 1</string></value>
      </member>
    </struct>
  </value>
</fault>
</methodResponse>
Please also check your path options in Configuration.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
ILF
Regular

Post by ILF »

Hi,

thanks for the quick response. I saw that particular error in the nginx log about the xxnav.css and did a find in s9y dir, but I couldn't find any such file. I also tried googling for it and searching the forum, but I couldn't find much meaningfull info. Could that be some style sheet that comes with the theme, but that I'm somehow missing.

As to the XML-RPC, I updated it to the latest, but will outright disable it, just be sure that is not causing the problem.

I'll report back if I have any success. Thanks again.
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

It is linked here
https://github.com/s9y/additional_theme ... ex.tpl#L16
but does not exist in Sagittarius-A directory.
For me it looks like some testing file and maybe someone forgot to remove the link in index head.
It is also linked as a not existing "nav.css" in Sagittarius-A/commentpopup.tpl.

Also, as you are using the 2.0 beta, the theme has its own admin template in Sagittarius-A/admin. You might see if that needs to be renamed to /_admin testwise too, since that could be an issue?! I don't think that has been fully tested with the 2.0 betas.
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
ILF
Regular

Post by ILF »

I fixed the xxnav.css issue, disabled the XML-RPC plugin and renamed the admin directory to _admin. No luck unfortunately. Do those two themes (Sagghitarius and Mimbo) require specific plugins to be installed and/or configured in a particular way/order.

I will also setup a clean 1.7 s9y and try installing the themes on that too, just to make sure it isn't a setup issue of my env - nginx/php/postgre.
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Good idea testing them with the 1.7 Series too.
I havn't ever used them for myself or checked them deeply for more hidden bugs or so. I remember to have done that once for some obvious ones. But I know just these two themes are a little more sophisticated and might still have issues, even in 1.7+ with Smarty3.
It is not really a happiness to do things like that, in special when you have a well done 2k11 theme, which would be more fun to extend to your needs.
Regards,
Ian

yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

ILF wrote:I have to say that I'm using pretty non-standart setup for s9y - nginx/php-fpm on fedora 20 with postgresql as DB backend.
Other than that, does 2.0 work well on that setup as far as you have tested?

I'm asking because while developing 2.x, we've always (to my knowledge, I know I have) used it on more or less the same setup, which is Apache, PHP, MySQL. So we're grateful for any testing and feedback on other servers or databases …

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

ILF wrote:Do those two themes (Sagghitarius and Mimbo) require specific plugins to be installed and/or configured in a particular way/order.
Can't speak for Saggittarius-A, and man, I haven't looked at Mimbo in so long … but it should say so in the theme options. Looking at the lang file, it does need the Extended Entry Properties plugin (which pretty much any magazine-like theme will need, I guess). Also, for Mimbo you'll need to add some extended fields in that plugin (how to is in the theme options). Other than that, Mimbo should not require any specific plugins or settings to work. (But as I said, it's been a long time …)

As for other themes, you should usually find some kind of documentation related to required plugins and settings included with the plugin. It's always been kind of “common practice” to add those as info fields in the theme options (that's Settings → Themes → Current theme → Configuration in the new 2.x backend).

YL
ILF
Regular

Post by ILF »

yellowled wrote:
ILF wrote:I have to say that I'm using pretty non-standart setup for s9y - nginx/php-fpm on fedora 20 with postgresql as DB backend.
Other than that, does 2.0 work well on that setup as far as you have tested?

I'm asking because while developing 2.x, we've always (to my knowledge, I know I have) used it on more or less the same setup, which is Apache, PHP, MySQL. So we're grateful for any testing and feedback on other servers or databases …

YL
So far, so good, however I still haven't been able to use it the way I want to. At some point I'll migrate my personal blog (ilfsworld.com) to 2.0, because, as I said before, I really really love the cleanliness of 2.0 admin panel.

Ok, on to the important stuff. I finally installed 1.7 and tried both themes and both don't work as expected. This probably points to something that is either misconfigured on my end or some incompatibility with my setup. (The domain is evilpuppy.info, by the way vs evilpuppy.us with 2.0).

Again disabling the newspaper mode on Saghittarius shows the content, but with newspaper mode enabled the main view is empty. Mimbo doesn't work either.

Would someone be willing to give me some pointers. I somehow suspect that the culprit is my nginx setup and specifically the rewrite rules, but it could be something totally different and I don't have the slightest idea from where to start.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

ILF wrote:I finally installed 1.7 and tried both themes and both don't work as expected. This probably points to something that is either misconfigured on my end or some incompatibility with my setup.
I would assume so. Both themes are rather old, so they should be well-tested. Obviously, they have never been tested on a setup like yours, otherwise we would've noticed earlier about the issues. Then again, magazine themes have kind of gone out of style in general. Plus, there's Kinetic, which offers way more options than both (but it's a commercial theme, and I'm not advocating you buy it just for testing purposes).
ILF wrote:Again disabling the newspaper mode on Saghittarius shows the content, but with newspaper mode enabled the main view is empty. Mimbo doesn't work either.
I don't know much about Saggittarius, and I haven't tested or worked on Mimbo in a long time. It might very well be that they don't work on current s9y versions in a “normal” setup, either. I doubt it, though, because I can't remember any bug reports.

I'll see if I can test both themes in a standard setup tomorrow or over the weekend to ensure that they're not broken in general.

You say Mimbo “doesn't work”. Can you elaborate on that? What does not work? Does it not work at all, like giving you a white screen or something?

How about “normal” themes like e.g. 2k11 and Bulletproof, do those work flawlessy in your setup? (Sorry if you already mentioned that, it's late and I'm too lazy to re-read the rest of the thread.)
ILF wrote:Would someone be willing to give me some pointers. I somehow suspect that the culprit is my nginx setup and specifically the rewrite rules, but it could be something totally different and I don't have the slightest idea from where to start.
I have to admit I know next to nothing about nginx. I know we did at one point test Mimbo (I think) on lighttpd because a user was using that. I'm not sure about it being related to rewrite rules, though. But frankly, that's more of a question for Garvin anyway. :)

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Guys, sorry I don't have the means to look into that, but I remember there was an issue with the newspaper mode. Maybe I'm mixing it up with the newspaper theme(?) - but please make sure that the general idea how this worked is still supported by the core. It might have been removed if it did something funny with circumventing smarty (then we either have to re-add that, disable that part of the theme or create a working 2.0 solution for it).

Mimbo I don't know nothing about, sorry.
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

ILF wrote:I finally installed 1.7 and tried both themes and both don't work as expected. This probably points to something that is either misconfigured on my end or some incompatibility with my setup. (The domain is evilpuppy.info, by the way vs evilpuppy.us with 2.0).

Again disabling the newspaper mode on Saghittarius shows the content, but with newspaper mode enabled the main view is empty. Mimbo doesn't work either.

Would someone be willing to give me some pointers. I somehow suspect that the culprit is my nginx setup and specifically the rewrite rules, but it could be something totally different and I don't have the slightest idea from where to start.
You don't seem to have any rewrite rules set ON with evilpuppy.us. (It is in Configuration - Design & Options.)
I just installed Sagittarius-A on my local beta3+, which works in both modes (without having that tested in all variants that are possible). So I assume its some misconfiguration on your side.
Give us an idea about your configuration in Configuration - Path settings and the configuration of your Sagittarius-A theme.
Also as a difference you have the languagechooser activated on your 2.0 site. Maybe this misbehaves and you could try to disable this testwise.
Regards,
Ian

yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

I just tested both Sagittarius-A and Mimbo (briefly) in 1.7.8 and 2.0-beta4 – as kind of expected, both work fine from what I could tell in my test system (which is the “classic” LAMP setup more or less).

Pretty sure it's either a configuration issue or related to your nginx setup.

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

onli wrote:I remember there was an issue with the newspaper mode. Maybe I'm mixing it up with the newspaper theme(?) - but please make sure that the general idea how this worked is still supported by the core.
I'm pretty sure you mean the Newspaper theme, which is kind of a “proof of concept” for themes which use vanilla PHP for templates. At least I recall discussing if that still worked in a dev talk. I don't recall us ever debating if magazine themes in general might break in 2.x.

And as I just posted, both themes seem to work fine in 1.7.8 and 2.0-beta4 after a brief test.

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Thanks, happy to hear that.