2K11 Questions

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
FireAdmin
Regular

2K11 Questions

Post by FireAdmin »

Hi at all,
im very new with Serendipity and i have two questions about my developed site.
First of all where are the line code for footer customizing ? "Powered by", i need to put a table and other things ecc.

Second one: How can i add new custom codes in the sidebar plugins? Cause i need to insert Facebook box, Twitter box Khappa's site box and other things.

Thank you very much
:shock:
Don Chambers
Regular

Re: 2K11 Questions

Post by Don Chambers »

FireAdmin wrote:Hi at all,
First of all where are the line code for footer customizing ? "Powered by", i need to put a table and other things ecc.
/templates/2k11/index.tpl
FireAdmin wrote:Second one: How can i add new custom codes in the sidebar plugins? Cause i need to insert Facebook box, Twitter box Khappa's site box and other things.
You can use a HTML nugget. Go to "Configure Plugins", then "add a new sidebar plugin"... select HTML Nugget from the list of available plugins. This particular plugin is "stackable", meaning you can install as many of them as you need for different purposes.
=Don=
FireAdmin
Regular

Post by FireAdmin »

ok many thank you man!!
cheers 8)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Don Chambers wrote:
FireAdmin wrote:Hi at all,
/templates/2k11/index.tpl
Be aware that since 2k11 is part of the s9y core distribution, your changes to the index.tpl (in fact, any of 2k11's files) will be overwritten with every update of s9y. So you need to backup your changes and add them to the changed files after the update.

The alternative would be to “fork” 2k11, i.e. make a copy of it and use that as your working template.

YL
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

I use OpenSans as font. Is there a simple way to use the fonts located on my webspace instead from google?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

u1amo01 wrote:I use OpenSans as font. Is there a simple way to use the fonts located on my webspace instead from google?
Define “simple”. :)

First, you'll need to turn off the webfont usage in the theme options for 2k11 altogether. I'll assume you already use a user.css and have it set up in the theme options.

You'll need to add the Open Sans @font-face rules to your user.css. I recommend using the FontSquirrel webfont kit or (because the Open Sans kit includes a lot of fonts you probably won't need) better: the FontSquirrel webfont generator using just Open Sans Regular, Italic, Bold and Bold Italic (those are the font styles most people actually use/need). Both will give you a zip file to download.

From that zip file, you'll need to

1. upload the fonts to your blog's web space; I recommend putting them in a folder "font" in your theme directory, it's safe in case of an update (unless you screw up your FTP upload, of course :wink:)

2. put the required @font-face declarations included in the zip file at the very beginning of your user.css (the zip file should include documentation as to which declarations you'll need to copy)

3. You'll need to adapt the path to the font files in those @font-face declarations. If you put them in the “font” folder in your theme directory, the path should be e.g.

Code: Select all

src: url(font/'OpenSans-SemiboldItalic-webfont.eot');
(same for the other font files, of course)

4. Right after the @font-face declarations, add this to your user.css:

Code: Select all

body,
button,
input,
select,
textarea { font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif; }
That should do the trick.

However, please note that this is kind of a performance hit since the web fonts will be loaded as well as “activated” after the theme's style.css is being parsed because they're referenced in the user.css. Usually, it's recommended to load and apply web fonts as early in your CSS as possible.

I'm afraid the only way to avoid that is either use the Google webfonts or fork 2k11 (and include all the webfonts stuff in your fork's style.css).

YL
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

Well, that's ... ahem, simple :-)

Hmm.

Looks like it as much work as making a copy of 2k11, put the stuff at the beginning of style.css and update it whenever a new version of 2k11 or s9y is installed.

Thank you for the very detailed instructions. :-)
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

u1amo01 wrote:Looks like it as much work as making a copy of 2k11, put the stuff at the beginning of style.css and update it whenever a new version of 2k11 or s9y is installed.
I realize some people disapprove of Google as a company and want nothing to do with them, but quite frankly, your best option in terms of performance is using Google's Open Sans via the theme option. Almost every visitor is going to have those in his browser cache already since it's a very popular font which a lot of sites use via the Google webfonts service.

YL
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

The new dashboard shows the last comments.

I find it difficult to see which ones have to be approved and which comments are already published. Yes, it is possible with the button "thumb up" or down. Maybe it could be a bit better to see; maybe with a green button "approve"? A different background or a grey button "approved" and "not approved"?

Just a thougt.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

u1amo01 wrote:I find it difficult to see which ones have to be approved and which comments are already published.
Unapproved comments should have a label “Pending approval”, just like in the Comments section of the backend. Good catch. :)

Edit: Fixed.

YL
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

Media data base: there are for each pic icons to rename, delete etc. Mouseover shows infos. In german translation for the fist icon ("i") is missing, shows still "show media info". The third icon from left is labled "Dateiausmaße ändern". Sounds a bit strange. Maybe better "Größe ändern". When you click on that icon the headline says "Größe von ändern". Great to have Yoda in the developer team. SCNR. Maybe teh same when I try to write inglisch.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

u1amo01 wrote:In german translation for the fist icon ("i") is missing, shows still "show media info". The third icon from left is labled "Dateiausmaße ändern". Sounds a bit strange. Maybe better "Größe ändern". When you click on that icon the headline says "Größe von ändern".
* Show media info: Confirmed, there was a stray untranslated text. I thought we got all of them. *sigh*
* It may sound strange, but that's the current text of the lang constant (in 1.7 as well). The German translation is a bit clumsy there. Then again, it reflects that you are in fact changing the dimensions of the image file in your uploads, not just those of a cached image or something …
* The Yoda thing is indeed a bug. Good catch.

In general, changing language related things is always a bit difficult. These lang constants are not exactly cheap in PHP, as far as I understand Garvin. So we tried to not add too many new ones, which also makes sense because new ones would technically need to be translated to all languages s9y has language files for.

YL
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

Some more missing translations for buttons / mouse over:
  • New entry, button top right, "select category" shows in german ... "Select category"
  • Categories, button right (with the "+"), "create subcategory" shows in german "Create subcategory"
  • Manage Directories, button right (with the "+"), "create subcategory" shows in german "Create subcategory"
  • Media Database, top right, there are 3 buttons "All", "Image", and "Video". "All" is in german "All".
  • Comments, filter button top left shows in german "show filters"
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

u1amo01 wrote:Some more missing translations for buttons / mouse over:
Thanks, those really are needles in a haystack.

Might take a few days to add these since the script necessary to add lang constants doesn't work on OS X for some weird reason.

If you find any more of these, could you please not post issues related to the backend to this thread any more? It might be confusing for other users since this was originally a thread related to the frontend.

I suggest a new thread in the German or Development forum. Thanks!

YL
u1amo01
Regular

Post by u1amo01 »

yellowled wrote:Thanks, those really are needles in a haystack.
Yes, of course. Hope I've got them all so far. Maybe there are more in corners of s9y I don't use. And I will open a new thread if I found another.

Thank you for fixing.

And BTW, the more I work with 2k11, the more I love it. Wonderful theme. Thank you very much!