Licence, is modify and resell legal?

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
Mjkrakowski

Licence, is modify and resell legal?

Post by Mjkrakowski »

Hello!
I want to start selling simple webdesign as freelancer.
Is it legal to customize a theme and resell it via webdesign charge?
I downloaded a theme zip but it dont have a own licence file and now i am not sure what i can do with it.
Thanks for answers.
onli
Regular

Re: Licence, is modify and resell legal?

Post by onli »

according to http://spartacus.s9y.org/index.php?mode=template_all, the default licence of the designs is GPL. Which is a bit strange for a BSD-licensed software like s9y (and not a good fit for this mix of artistic content, code and design. But well).

Given that the GPL applies, you are free to modify and resell it, though you have to give access to the sourcecode (which should be a non-issue as a design is source-code anyway, but don't minify the css/js without shipping the non-minified versions, and of course, don't obfuscate the code).
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Mjkrakowski wrote:I downloaded a theme zip but it dont have a own licence file and now i am not sure what i can do with it.
If a template zip files does not contain a license file, you should probably contact the theme author. You should find some contact info in the template's info.txt.

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

YL is right - if that template is not in spartacus at least, and even if it is, contacting him is a good idea.