Updating currently used theme to new version of same theme

Skinning and designing Serendipity (CSS, HTML, Smarty)
codeless
Regular

Updating currently used theme to new version of same theme

Post by codeless »

Hi there!

My up-to-date problem is described in the subject of this thread: i want to update the currently used theme of my S9Y-installation to the new version of this theme. How do you do that?
If i'm correct i've to switch my used theme (RESY) to another one (f.i. bulletproof), then delete the appropriate template folder in my S9Y/templates-directory and after that i can install the updated theme. Or is there a way to really update the currently used theme?

Thanks in advance for any input!
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Updating currently used theme to new version of same the

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Hehe. I think you're right, the facility to update a template is not there like plugins have it.

I think the easiest way is to simply download the plugin from github and upload it via FTP? That's less hassle than removing directories, switching templates, or redownloading them by first deleting them...

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

Well, I guess the easiest way (if it's a template from our additional_themes repo) would be a web server which allows for git on the server. Then you could just git clone the repo to your templates folder and update it via git pull.

Of course, git on the server is hard to come by on shared hosting. Uberspace has it. :)

YL
codeless
Regular

Post by codeless »

Thanks for the answers, i hoped there would be an easier way by simply using the S9Y administration.