how does Karma protect?

Creating and modifying plugins.
konus
Regular

how does Karma protect?

Post by konus »

Hello,
Does somebody know how karma (serendipity_event_karma) works? I was thinking, that karma places a cookie after voting to prevent multiple voting of the same person, but I have severe problems with voters who vote again and again. Maybe, the configured their browser to take the cookie first, but deletes them on closing? I also found several bots and crawlers, witch have voted.

What can I do? I don't think, there is a generally save approach to this problem. Is there any setting in karma to prevent voting from the same IP-adress?

I think about stopping to let my visitors vote but would like to have the possibility to vote by myself (once per article). Does anybody know a way to change to plugin to vote only for logged in users or a other plugin to solve this? I am going to set the max vote time to 1 as a first help.
konus
Regular

Re: how does Karma protect?

Post by konus »

Digging a little bit deeper, I found that many of my votings are done by bots and crawlers. I guess, the only protection against them is the use of java-script or/and a short vorting period.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

Yeah, sadly you can't really block them out, because everything based on cookies can be circumvented. The only thing would be, as you mentioned, to only make voting available for registered authors. I've added this option to the SVN of serendipity 1.6.

Regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
konus
Regular

Post by konus »

Thank you Garvin! I think, I will use the new option once 1.6 is published.
konus
Regular

Post by konus »

I just updated to 1.6 and tested the new option "Only logged-in authors can vote".

I found, that after using the new option not-logged-in users can't see Karma at all.

Is there a posssibility to show Karma for all users, but allow voting only for logged-in users? I am not sure, if this depends on the Theme - I use Bulletproof.
konus
Regular

Post by konus »

I would like to withdraw my request. I cleaned up a little bit and decided to stop using Karma in my blog.