Trackbacks are not shown

Found a bug? Tell us!!
deedw
Regular

Trackbacks are not shown

Post by deedw »

Hi,

since some weeks I do not get any trackback comments from my own blog. The log file tells me:
[2015-04-08 22:04:01] - [MODERATE: Keine API-erstellten Kommentare (u.a. Trackbacks) erlaubt] - [#2531, Name "deesaster.org", E-Mail "", URL "http://www.deesaster.org/blog/index.php?/archives/2533", User-Agent "PEAR HTTP_Request class ( http://pear.php.net/ )", IP 89.238.77.77] - [...]
But I do not get any mail for this trackback and I do not see it in the comment section of the blog.

The last thing I remember having changed was to remove the "Spamschutz Biene" and readded the "Spam: Challenge/Response", because the Biene does not work for me.

Where can i look for the missing trackbacks?

I use Serendipity 1.6.2.

Best regards
Dee
yellowled
Regular

Re: Trackbacks are not shown

Post by yellowled »

deedw wrote:

Code: Select all

[2015-04-08 22:04:01] - [MODERATE: Keine API-erstellten Kommentare (u.a. Trackbacks) erlaubt] - [#2531, Name "deesaster.org", E-Mail "", URL "http://www.deesaster.org/blog/index.php?/archives/2533", User-Agent "PEAR HTTP_Request class ( http://pear.php.net/ )", IP 89.238.77.77] - [...]
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's a blocked trackback, in which case (I think) you would not get an email notification or a comment because, well, it was blocked. I'm not sure which part of the spamblock mechanism/plugins is responsible for that, but you should check your spamblock settings which kinds of trackbacks/comments are being blocked and which are being moderated.

Also, it might be good to know which spamblock plugins you use besides challenge/response (which I don't know at all).
deedw wrote:I use Serendipity 1.6.2.
You should update that to 2.0.1 or at least 1.7.8 soon.

YL
deedw
Regular

Post by deedw »

Also, it might be good to know which spamblock plugins you use besides challenge/response
I use "Spamschutz (Bayes) 0.4.17", "Spamschutz 1.79" and "Spam: Challenge/Response 0.10".
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's a blocked trackback
But it says "Moderate" and not "Blocked". E.g. in Bayes and other plugins you can select between "Moderate" or "Block" ("Abweisen" in German). So I don't think the log entry says that it was blocked.

BTW: The log entry was from the Bayes log. Are there any other logs?

Best regards
Dee
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

deedw wrote:But it says "Moderate" and not "Blocked".
Yes, but it also says that no API comments (like trackbacks) are allowed. As I said, I'm not sure.
deedw wrote:The log entry was from the Bayes log. Are there any other logs?
You can configure Spamblock (Spamschutz) to generate a log. Don't know about challenge/response.

It's kind of confusing that this is in the Bayes log since it sounds as if you have “Behandlung von per API übermittelten Kommentaren” set to blocked – but that's a setting in the Spamblock plugin … :?

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

yellowled wrote:It's kind of confusing that this is in the Bayes log since it sounds as if you have “Behandlung von per API übermittelten Kommentaren” set to blocked – but that's a setting in the Spamblock plugin … :?
Just checked it – that is in fact from Spamblock, it's the content of the PLUGIN_EVENT_SPAMBLOCK_REASON_API lang constant. No other plugin uses that constant.

YL
deedw
Regular

Post by deedw »

It seems that this behaviour is a bug in the "Challenge/Response"-plugin. If i deactivate it trackbacks are recognized again.

Does anyone know a replacement for "Challenge/Response"? On the other hand I'm really not sure how the different spam plugins interfere with each other. For example tells me the Bayes Spamschutz that I have about 20 deleted spam comments a minute. That's confusing because how could a spam bot answer the correct question from "Challenge/Response".

Maybe I will remove the plugin again and live with the spam that comes through.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

deedw wrote:Does anyone know a replacement for "Challenge/Response"?
I have to admit that until you opened this thread, I wasn't even aware that the plugin existed. I don't recall it ever being mentioned in the forums or elsewhere, it hasn't been updated in more than 3 years, it is not even part of our GitHub repository for additional plugins and the manual download on Spartacus doesn't even work. WTF? How did you even get this plugin?
deedw wrote:On the other hand I'm really not sure how the different spam plugins interfere with each other.
Since you're German, I'd recommend episode 15 of our German s9y InfoCamp podcast, which is all about spam blocking and the various options and plugins that exist. Yes, it was recorded almost 3 years ago, but most of the stuff should still work, and it's explained much better and with more detail than I could explain here.

YL