Linked Images in ML vanishing

Found a bug? Tell us!!
onli
Regular

Linked Images in ML vanishing

Post by onli »

I just "uploaded" some images to the ML, using the "only link to original server" method. After doing this three times, the third one failed with a message "Kann keine Bilder größer als 1600x0 haben" (that is kind of correct, I set the maximum width to 1600 and the images are bigger). However, instead of failing gracefully, the image I'm just uploading is still there, the other two however are gone.

I now deactived "Automagische Synchronisation der Mediendatenbank" and that seemed to wrokaround the bug. If it is of interest, the naming scheme was generic_customidentifier.

Can someone reproduce this or stumbled upon this as well?
onli
Regular

Re: Linked Images in ML vanishing

Post by onli »

Addition: Does the "link to server" option work anyway like we want?

For me, my expectation was that it would not save the fullsize image, but link instead to the original image. However, I expected that s9y would generate a thumbnail - fetcch the image, generate a thumbnail, only keep the thumbnail. That does not seem to be the case. It is using the original image as thumbnail, only specifying width and height attributes. Example for that can be seen in https://www.onli-blogging.de/1440/Biosh ... inite.html.

Is that the expected behaviour, or is that a second bug?
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I see two options: Download image to your server, and Hotlink to server. When the option "Hotlink to server" is selected, nothing is saved locally, but a thumbnail is generated at the correct size.

When the option "Download image to your server" is selected, it saves a local copy of the image, but does not generate any thumbnail.
=Don=
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Don Chambers wrote:When the option "Download image to your server" is selected, it saves a local copy of the image, but does not generate any thumbnail.
Oh. That is really unexpected for me as well.
Don Chambers wrote:When the option "Hotlink to server" is selected, nothing is saved locally, but a thumbnail is generated at the correct size.
But it is not actually a thumbnail like the others, a file on the server, is it? It is just an image element with width and height of a thumbnail, but the src is pointing to the original image.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

onli wrote:
Don Chambers wrote:When the option "Hotlink to server" is selected, nothing is saved locally, but a thumbnail is generated at the correct size.
But it is not actually a thumbnail like the others, a file on the server, is it? It is just an image element with width and height of a thumbnail, but the src is pointing to the original image.
Correct.

BTW - when I click on the info button for a ML item, I get a popup that shows me the image name, size, thumb size, etc. How do I make the info go away?
=Don=
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Thanks Don!
I hope Garvin or a heavy user of the Media Library can describe how that is supposed to work, and maybe we can pin down the bug as well like that.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Happy to help. Just discovered something else.

Create a media item that is hotlinked.... it does not exist in the file structure of /uploads/....

So, try inserting that image into a new entry, no problem.

Now try going to extended property options (which requires the extended properties for entries plugin).... each extended property field has a media library button. The hotlinked media item shows in the popup, but cannot be selected for inclusion in the extended property field.
=Don=
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Post by garvinhicking »

The intention of "hotlinking" (download from server) is to NOT retain ANY information about a picture on your local server. This is so because hotlinking would mean to i.e. link to copyrighted material that you are not allowed to store on your server. Even storing a thumbnail would be forbidden.

So if you want a thumbnail, you need to download the whole picture to your server.
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Oh. Ok, then it rests the original bug. I will try to reproduce it on my testblog and then open an issue for that.

But first, I will shortly describe the use case for hotlinking but wanting a thumbnail: I have several big images I want in the article. They already are on a cdn (in this case: the one from steam), so they can be better served from there than from my blog. However, as they are big, I don't want all of them directly in the entry, I'd prefer to just show thumbnails (though thumbnails in my blog are 800px wide). For that szenario hotlinking + local thumbnail would be great.