Initial configuration for commenting and spam management

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
Daves

Initial configuration for commenting and spam management

Post by Daves »

Hi

I am in the process of setting up my first blog. I want readers to be able to comment on entries, but I am uncertain about preventing and managing spam.

My inclination is to require an email address or to require a first-time confirmation when commenting on entries. For spam, are the default settings of serendipity_event_spamblock ok?

I appreciate that I can expect to refine my approach over time, but I'm really just looking for a sensible starting point.

Thanks
Dave
Timbalu
Regular

Re: Initial configuration for commenting and spam management

Post by Timbalu »

Daves wrote:My inclination is to require an email address or to require a first-time confirmation when commenting on entries. For spam, are the default settings of serendipity_event_spamblock ok?

Hi

If you make a requirement for email opt-in and use the option "Check e-mail addresses?" that should be enough. I personally use additionally the Spamblock Bee as the first Plugin in my event plugin list, which blasts away all these dump bots, but I don't have experience if that works well together with that mentioned option. (It should, I think.)
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
DabblingInWebDesign
Regular

Post by DabblingInWebDesign »

Having an email opt-in option for a blog is a good idea in general. Not only to reduce spam threats, but having people subscribe to your blog helps for you to secure repeat traffic and build a loyal readership. You can send out email notifications that new posts are up, making sure that you aren't completely out of sight and out of mind. It would make sense that people can't comment on the blog without first being a subscriber to the blog.

I say go for it. Maybe even implement a lightbox pop up to encourage people to subscribe to the blog before they leave your site.

And yes, other spam precautions like what Dave mentioned is good. I'm still new to Serendipity, but I would assume there is also an option to review all comments before they can be posted? At least that was an option with other CMS's I have used in the past. That way there is an intelligent human element involved. Anything that sounds like spam you can just refuse to permit them to be posted.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Yes, reviewing comments before can be posted, you can set comments to be moderated.

What s9y can't (as far as I know) is announcing new entries via mail. But there is of course an RSS-feed which one could use to implement such a functionality with an external service.
DabblingInWebDesign
Regular

Post by DabblingInWebDesign »

onli wrote:Yes, reviewing comments before can be posted, you can set comments to be moderated.

What s9y can't (as far as I know) is announcing new entries via mail. But there is of course an RSS-feed which one could use to implement such a functionality with an external service.
See, smart features! Moderation is key!