Buttons not showing in new backend

Random stuff about serendipity. Discussion, Questions, Paraphernalia.
accampbell
Regular

Buttons not showing in new backend

Post by accampbell »

In the new 2.0 backend all the buttons just show a random pattern and I have to hover the pointer over them to find out what they do. This is in Firefox 35.0 on openBSD. I tried two different window managers.

Have I misconfigured something? Or should I report a bug?
Anthony Campbell
yellowled
Regular

Re: Buttons not showing in new backend

Post by yellowled »

accampbell wrote:Have I misconfigured something? Or should I report a bug?
Probably not misconfigured, but also not a bug.

What is supposed to be displayed there are icons from an icon font. The random patterns that you mentioned might hint that this iconfont is not available in your backend, which might be because you did not upload the icon font files properly. It might as well just be a caching problem. If you have a different browser at hand (Chrome or Chromium), please check if it works there first.

After that, I would suggest to:

* empty your browser cache in FF
* clear the template cache (you can do that in the new menu item “Maintenance” now)
* check /templates/2k11/admin/font/; there should be four files named “fontello.*” in that directory; check if these are readable for the web server

YL
accampbell
Regular

Post by accampbell »

Thanks for the illuminating explanation. It does seem to be a Firefox problem. I took all the steps you suggested but without improvement. The same thing happened with Firefox running on another (Linux) computer. But Chromium shows the buttons correctly.
Anthony Campbell
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

accampbell wrote:It does seem to be a Firefox problem. I took all the steps you suggested but without improvement. The same thing happened with Firefox running on another (Linux) computer. But Chromium shows the buttons correctly.
That is very odd, especially since I can not reproduce this in FF 35 on OS X (the different OS should not matter).

Do you use any “special” browser extensions in FF (that you do not use in Chrome)? It's really hard to describe what I'm looking for because I'm not sure what could be the case, but basically anything that blocks something. Something that forces you to use a https login, something that blocks external scripts, some security/disguise my IP thingy …?

Also, please do this: Open the Web Console in Firefox (Ctrl + Shift + K) and reload a page in the backend (one that includes icons). Does that give you any error messages at all?

YL
accampbell
Regular

Post by accampbell »

I tried starting FF in safe mode and also tried different fonts.

The page you suggested does not report any errors.
Anthony Campbell
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

accampbell wrote:The page you suggested does not report any errors.
I did not mean to test the page I linked to, that was just to explain what the Web Console is and how to open it.

What I meant is:

* open one of the pages of the s9y backend which does not show you the icon in FF
* open the Web Console (Ctrl + Shift + K); it should open a window on the bottom of your FF window
* hit reload in the browser
* see if there's any messages in the WebConsole window

YL
accampbell
Regular

Post by accampbell »

Sorry I didn't express myself clearly. Typing is slow just now; I've broken my R wrist and have to use one finger on my left hand!

Ithought i had done as you said but I've just done it again and it said there was a problem with not using utf-8. There were also warnings about security risks.
Anthony Campbell
accampbell
Regular

Post by accampbell »

Here is the message

A form was submitted in the windows-1252 encoding which cannot encode all Unicode characters, so user input may get corrupted. To avoid this problem, the page should be changed so that the form is submitted in the UTF-8 encoding either by changing the encoding of the page itself to UTF-8 or by specifying accept-charset=utf-8 on the form element. right_main.php
Password fields present on an insecure (http://) page. This is a security risk that allows user login credentials to be stolen.[Learn More]
Password fields present in a form with an insecure (http://) form action. This is a security risk that allows user login credentials to be stolen.[Learn More]
Anthony Campbell
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

I'm not sure about these messages (not a security guy), maybe someone else has thoughts about these? On which page of the backend did you get these, entry editor?

Anyway, I don't think they should affect the display of icon fonts. Everything else in the backend seems to be working fine since you don't seem to have any other issues. The fact that it works in Chrome also shows that all is updated correctly in your backend.

However, I can not reproduce this in FF 35 on OS X. So it would either have to be something specific to FF on Linux/BSD or something related to specific settings or extensions in your FF. We already ruled that out since you tested it in FF safe mode, and you don't seem to have any “weird” extensions in use.

Can anyone reproduce this in FF on any OS?

YL
accampbell
Regular

Post by accampbell »

I tried telling FF to use unicode instead of auto but no effect.

Yes, this was the entry page.

Incidentally I tried a third browser (otter-browser) and that was fine.

Anyway, I can live with the problem but it would nice to understand why it's happening.
Anthony Campbell
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

accampbell wrote:Anyway, I can live with the problem but it would nice to understand why it's happening.
Yeah, same here – but unfortunately, to really be able to help you here I would need to be able to reproduce this. :(

YL
mattsches
Regular

Post by mattsches »

This seems to be related to different HTTP headers sent by the browser and/or your web server. There can be various reasons for this. Maybe some of your files or content are encoded in win-1252, or you somehow changed the charset in FF (I don't even know how to do that). It's kind of hard to debug, but try googling for the error message you posted earlier, that might give you some hints.
accampbell
Regular

Post by accampbell »

I think it must be a bug in FF because I've now had the same thing happen while accessing another quite unrlated site. Anyway, I've just installed Seamonkey, which does show the buttons. I'm thinking of switching to that as my default browser (not just because of the button problem).
Anthony Campbell
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

accampbell wrote:I think it must be a bug in FF because I've now had the same thing happen while accessing another quite unrlated site.
That would explain why I wasn't able to reproduce it in FF/OS X (but isn't the only explanation possible). I doubt that it is a bug in FF and icon fonts in general, though.

YL
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

accampbell, assuming you're still reading this – try what I suggested to the user in this message (please also read the following messages there). That might be a possible solution for you as well.

YL