[2.0] media library pagination/remember page

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
bernd_d
Regular

[2.0] media library pagination/remember page

Post by bernd_d »

With latest git-checkout it is already possible to remember selected folder within media library. This works great so far (thanks to onli!).

But i think it could get a little bit improved/extended. If i have a folder with more then one page, i always have to select "next page" (one or more times), to come back to page xx i already have been before. This is a little bit clumsy.

One solution could be to remember selected page (maybe "images to be shown" too) within the cookie to get back to last selected page.

Another solution could be to give an page-dropdown, if there is more then one page, so that i can select the page i want to go to.

Maybe both things could be included, to make it easier navigating between pages?

Meanings about?
yellowled
Regular

Re: [2.0] media library pagination/remember page

Post by yellowled »

bernd_d wrote:One solution could be to remember selected page (maybe "images to be shown" too) within the cookie to get back to last selected page.
I imagine this could easily get very annoying because it would save the selected page all the time.
bernd_d wrote:Another solution could be to give an page-dropdown, if there is more then one page, so that i can select the page i want to go to.
I wouldn't consider a dropdown an interface element usually associated with pagination. A third (and in my opinion better) approach would be to expand this to a “full” pagination, e.g. adding page number to the next/prev links.

The things is, I'm not sure if those really help that much. Even if you remember the page number a certain image is on, this number will change with the next few image uploads. It will also no longer be valid if you change the number of images displayed per page.

YL
bernd_d
Regular

Post by bernd_d »

yellowled wrote:
bernd_d wrote:One solution could be to remember selected page (maybe "images to be shown" too) within the cookie to get back to last selected page.
I imagine this could easily get very annoying because it would save the selected page all the time.
[/quote]
Don't know. I would think "Hey, ML is here again as i left it. Awesome!" ;-)
yellowled wrote:
bernd_d wrote:Another solution could be to give an page-dropdown, if there is more then one page, so that i can select the page i want to go to.
I wouldn't consider a dropdown an interface element usually associated with pagination. A third (and in my opinion better) approach would be to expand this to a “full” pagination, e.g. adding page number to the next/prev links.
I talked about this with onli, but (i think) he very amused, because the code seems to be "difficult".
yellowled wrote:The things is, I'm not sure if those really help that much. Even if you remember the page number a certain image is on, this number will change with the next few image uploads. It will also no longer be valid if you change the number of images displayed per page.
I don't want to remember this page number my whole life. ;-)
It just would be easier to include more pictures in a row, when ML is opened there, where i left it.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

bernd_d wrote:I would think "Hey, ML is here again as i left it. Awesome!" ;-)
I'm afraid we can not accommodate for individual preferences in a default backend. :)
bernd_d wrote:I talked about this with onli, but (i think) he very amused, because the code seems to be "difficult".
I can imagine. Pagination is usually a pain to code.
bernd_d wrote:It just would be easier to include more pictures in a row, when ML is opened there, where i left it.
If pagination already kicks in while inserting images in an entry, it might be too many images anyway. :wink: I realize this is something a lot of users like to do, but it's not really the way images in blog entries were meant to be used. More than 8 images in a row usually means an image gallery. You might want to think about putting those in a seperate gallery page anyway. Just an idea.

I'm not sure there is a way to accommodate this properly. We can't foresee how many image you might want to insert in a row, but I also don't think it's a good idea to implement it the way you suggested … :?

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Thinking about it, pagination doesn't necessarily mean that the page would change when uploading new images. We would have to implement it like the stable archive, so that on page x are always the same y images.

I'm still not sure this is easy or even just doable, but maybe it is a possible route?
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

onli wrote:We would have to implement it like the stable archive, so that on page x are always the same y images.
Wouldn't that be totally uncomfortable e.g. if you just wanted to get the last image you uploaded (because of the reversed order)?

YL
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Don't see why. We should combine that with pagination, so the first (and last) page is always fast accessible. But even if we don't do that, the distance from one specific image to another doesn't change at all by setting 0 to be the page with the oldest images. The first page the user see would not be 0, but 1532, the newest one.

But it could be difficult to combine that properly with the filters.
yellowled
Regular

Post by yellowled »

onli wrote:But it could be difficult to combine that properly with the filters.
If you (or anyone else) do attempt this at all, I would strongly suggest to do it after the RC phase, maybe even after the stable release (i.e. Future milestone). Feels like we have other stuff to address first.

I would also suggest to do this in a feature branch. This feels like something which might turn out to be not feasible somewhere in the middle of implementation. It's usually better to have those in a feature branch. Easier to get rid of. :)

YL