Can a chat room be created without sidebars?

Discussion corner for Developers of Serendipity.
GuyTalk

Can a chat room be created without sidebars?

Post by GuyTalk »

I am building a new website and wanted to use the Serendipity blog tool offered through my Godaddy.com account to add a blog to it. However, I was hoping to create a seamless page that contains the blog. When I look over the nearly overwhelming amount of features and settings for Serendipity, I was disappointed with my inability to create a page that doesn’t have a header (my website already has one) doesn’t have right or left columns with widgets (my website already has those too). All I want is the main content page plain and simple without all the extras. Am I overlooking a simple way to exclude those from my page? Please help! Thank you.
garvinhicking
Core Developer

Re: Can a chat room be created without sidebars?

Post by garvinhicking »

Hi!

While we don't offer such "plain" templates, Serendipity is highly customizable. You can thus change the look of the site quite easily, for example by using the "bulletproof"-template, and then creeate a user.css Stylesheet with which you hide every element you don't need to have.

Another way is to simply create your own template. Create a new directory "plain" inside the directory "templates", create a info.txt file that only contains:

Code: Select all

Name: My Plain Template
then copy the files from "default/index.tpl" and "default/style.css" inside your "plain" directory. then edit index.tpl, which is a simple HTML file with some Smarty logic. Inside that file you can simply remove lines like:

<div id="serendipity_banner">
    <h1><a class="homelink1" href="{$serendipityBaseURL}">{$head_title|@default:$blogTitle}</a></h1>
    <h2><a class="homelink2" href="{$serendipityBaseURL}">{$head_subtitle|@default:$blogDescription}</a></h2>
</div>
(that will remove the header)

and also remove:

<table id="mainpane">
    <tr>
{if $leftSidebarElements > 0}
        <td id="serendipityLeftSideBar" valign="top">{serendipity_printSidebar side="left"}</td>
{/if}
        <td id="content" valign="top">{$CONTENT}</td>
{if $rightSidebarElements > 0}
        <td id="serendipityRightSideBar" valign="top">{serendipity_printSidebar side="right"}</td>
{/if}
    </tr>
</table>
{/if}
and replace that simply with:

<div id="mainpane">
<div id="content">{$CONTENT}</div>
</div>
which will remove any sidebars to the left or right.

Best regards,
Garvin
# Garvin Hicking (s9y Developer)
# Did I help you? Consider making me happy: http://wishes.garv.in/
# or use my PayPal account "paypal {at} supergarv (dot) de"
# My "other" hobby: http://flickr.garv.in/
GuyTalk

Re: Can a chat room be created without sidebars?

Post by GuyTalk »

Thank you very much. I'm new to all this and I know it will take a bit to correctly interpret your response and correctly do this without "step-by-step" instructions, but if you prey for me, I'll figure it out, lol. I am extremely grateful of your response, thank you.

_Eden