Update failed - white pages

Having trouble installing serendipity?
Timbalu
Regular

Re: Update failed - white pages

Post by Timbalu »

I do not really understand this upgrade policy by Don, since he knew about these issues with the 1.7 release and the RC version since March. If selling a closed source template you have to keep up with changes based on an OS Project, to not let your users run into possible bad problems or have them at least informed in detail about upgrade issues.
If you - Joerg - follow that mentioned thread, most main problems with kinetic can be solved by your own, I assume, and still keep the 1.7.2 when every other issue has been solved.
I will be pleased to see your Serendipity upgrade issues solved successfully!
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

Guys - I was on vacation and did not see this thread. An update was released for Kinetic a while back, but perhaps did not get to all. I will send it out again this afternoon. I apologize for the delay.
=Don=
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Hey great! :D Good news! Magically just arrived back, in right time!
Sorry, I had upper doubt on this!
Regards,
Ian

Serendipity Styx Edition and additional_plugins @ https://ophian.github.io/ @ https://github.com/ophian
Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

Hello Don,

nice to have you again :-)

Now, after uploading try (I do not know yet, if a "good one") of 1.72. and then uploading of the single file serendipiy_config_local.inc.php with resetted version number, as described in Garvins Book on page 480, I am back at this point (only visible in a special hidden url for me as admin [Timbalu, you know which]):

The update assistence page shows up
"Willkommen beim Serendipity Update-Assistenten"

and asks me at the end to deside, which button to press according to the question:
"Soll ich die aufgeführten Funktionen ausführen?"
buttons:
"a) Ja, bitte ausführen
b) Nein, das werde ich manuell erledigen"

Ich zögere: wenn ich b) wähle: Was alles muss ich manuell erledigen?
Dieses "das" verweist ins Ungewisse. Ich hasse derart vage Verweise.
Oh, forgot to write in english.
I am hesitating, if I should klick on b): What exactly I have to do manually here then?
This article "that" refers to unclear object. I hate such referings into the Blue

Was soll ich denn nun wählen?
Should I klick an button a) ob b), after all? :roll:
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

The question being asked by the 1.7.2 upgrade screen is simply asking if you want it do perform the upgrade tasks automatically, or if you want to perform those changes manually. Choose to do them automatically (select "yes"). This choice has nothing to do with Kinetic. I am still working out changes to Kinetic 1.7+, but will send you a version you can send you a beta version just as I have in the past. Will send it to your email address I have.
=Don=
Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

Ok, I klicked on "yes" - and got a green message:

"Now your blog is updated to 1.7.2.

Calling serendipity_copyBaseURL...
Calling serendipity_killPlugin..."

We will see, what monday brings.

Because my hoster has switched of the sql database in the evening, until I have told him about this successful update.
Last edited by Czorneboh on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I forgot that your site is cached... So I cannot see the changes. I am zipping a beta copy of the Kinetic files and will send you that in a few minutes.
=Don=
Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

Ok Don.

Step by step, first I want see the effect after this - like it seems in the first moment now - succesful update.
After the data base was switched on again, I perhaps need some configurations.

Then we can perhaps see any issues, which Kinetic may have according to 1.7.2. - and then your update.

I am already courious, which positive effects the update brings.
One I have already seen. RSS Atom in Opera functioned yesterday already.

Time to finish the day now.
Don Chambers
Regular

Post by Don Chambers »

I just emailed you a beta update. I am working through a few minor changes needed for the latest serendipity update, but the version I sent you should work just fine with s9y 1.7.2
=Don=
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

There are still main parts of that caching issue happening.
Please also check you htaccess was set up correct.
It is not easy to help when you never get a current page, since Varnish, is stuck somewhere.
Regards,
Ian

Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

I agree.
Communication with the server owner is difficult. No will to switch Varnish-Server. He thinks it has nothing to do with the update, but do not shares his knowledge.

I compared the .htaccess-file from current version (after update try) with that of the last update from 03.0813 morning. No differences. But the data base was switched off.

Now I have entrance to my admin-backend.
Some areas load significant slower now and the plugin-overview-page do not loads again.
But aside from these points all seems to be ok.
I have entrance to articles, media library, configuration.

But the frontend shows still problems. Server-owner send me as well some example-urls like
[Mon Aug 05 12:57:38 2013] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not
exist: /home/joerg/www/joerg/archives/132-Notebook-auf-Reisen-ein-Abenteuer.html
[Mon Aug 05 12:57:39 2013] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not
exist: /home/joerg/www/joerg/categories

This article I can manage in the backend. It is there.
So, the update needs to be tried again.

@Timbalu: I am going to write you a pm.
onli
Regular

Post by onli »

Czorneboh wrote:So, the update needs to be tried again.
Given those errors, it is highly unlikely an additional update will help, or that a failed one is the source. S9y should make no file access to that file in no version, as it knows it is only a virtual path.
Timbalu
Regular

Post by Timbalu »

Because my hoster has switched of the sql database in the evening, until I have told him about this successful update.
Why does anybody need to switch off the database because of upgrading? It even is necessary for some upgrade situations, not being mentioned: to run the blog and backend itself. :o This thing is getting more and more weird.

. . .

Yes, Varnish still delivers old cached files, even if virtual, I assume.
Ok, Jörg, I will do that update once for you with my FTP, if you send me your credentials, though I don't really understand what might be wrong with your local FTP settings to upload this at all.
But since it is still a Varnish matter what kind of page and file (new/old) is processed, I do not have much hope after all that we will have a fluent GO afterwards. :roll:

We should call this <Vanish> in future! :mrgreen:
Regards,
Ian

Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

Ok, Jörg, I will do that update once for you with my FTP, if you send me your credentials, though I don't really understand what might be wrong with your local FTP settings to upload this at all.
Great! :lol:
I will write you a pm after the night. Needed to do a lot of other things yet and cool down in the river nearby on a beautiful evening.
Czorneboh
Regular

Post by Czorneboh »

What happend meanwhile?
As already planned and now suggested from current hoster, I moved with the blog to one hoster, which is listed as one s9y-supporters on this website. Formerly I asked there already for support for the move. It was promised to do that manually/indvidually.

Since the start with the blog there got several things wrong or I have some litter files.
Several issues I am getting solved now.

Two days ago the blog was installed the first time on the new server. But it went out, that it sends out many spam mails. So today afternoon my support man made a 2nd installation, different this time using new database with the last dump and we this time do not use the old plugin folders. It is online, but outlook is different yet.

The man from hoster support has done in the last days excellent work and good communication.

Now I am going to install plugins freshly and need to do configurations. If it looks then like before (like I want), it will switched back to the usual domain.

Timbalu was assisting me in the last days in personal messages and I am in good hope.
Hope to get the same speed than before I did the update.